Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th January 2021, 11:03 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I have a set of these that I plan to use in my Yashica mat. I was thinking of using both sets and attaching the end if the film into a reusable 35mm canister. Otherwise one would have to handle the camera in a darkroom or changing bag.
Yes, thats the way I would do it, I would just cut my new film leader off square and tape it to the film stubb on a used 35mm film cassette. You may have to make a custom negative holder for your enlarger to make prints from your negs.
Old 14th January 2021, 01:15 PM
Friend

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments everyone.

Having now read the above and thought about it, I'm mainly now thinking of which camera to use it in and as said, if in a manual wind on camera like a Holga, how much does one wind the film on after each exposure? Or in my Fuji ga645zi, where it will wind on as if a 120 was in it, so leaving big gaps between each exposure, giving me about half of the exposures actually on a film?

I'm now glad that the item was cheap, as it will even out the cost of film being lost when using it. At least that's what I'll be telling myself when I try it out.

A bit more research to be done before the item arrives, me thinks.

Terry S
Old 14th January 2021, 01:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I have a set of these that I plan to use in my Yashica mat. I was thinking of using both sets and attaching the end if the film into a reusable 35mm canister. Otherwise one would have to handle the camera in a darkroom or changing bag.
That's one idea Rob, although you'd still have to go to the darkroom or use a changing bag, if you don't want to lose the last couple of frames or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
You may have to make a custom negative holder for your enlarger to make prints from your negs.
No problems there Norm, as I have already made a black craft-work card negative holder for my 35mm panorama cameras, which I then put into my 120 negative holder, which works fine.

Terry S
Old 14th January 2021, 02:24 PM
Friend

I don’t think you will find big gaps between frames, Terry, as the film will be exposed to the width of the normal 120 format. The 35mm negatives will be like panoramic shots, unless you mask down the film gate in your camera. Spacing should be the same as 120 where the camera has a fixed wind-on mechanism.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th January 2021, 04:23 PM
Friend

Default A bit of a dohhh! moment there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I don’t think you will find big gaps between frames, Terry, as the film will be exposed to the width of the normal 120 format. The 35mm negatives will be like panoramic shots, unless you mask down the film gate in your camera. Spacing should be the same as 120 where the camera has a fixed wind-on mechanism.
Alex.
Thanks for pointing such an obvious thing out to me Alex. Of course the gaps will be the same and the frame just longer!!!

I presume that as the film winder will be expecting to give me 16 shots on a 120 film, I presume that's the length of the 35mm that will be used, will be the length of a roll of 120 film, plus the wind on of 35mm film, that would normally be backing paper. Or of course I could go to the darkroom and stick down a length of 35mm film to a 120 backing paper... Hmmm, now that's a thought, although I'm not sure how easy that would be, but it would mean I wouldn't have to use a changing bag or go back to the darkroom to take the roll out, if I want to put another roll of something into the camera? Or is the base of 35mm film thicker, and therefore cause a gap in the backing paper, which could lead to fogging the edges of the film?

I'm deffo going to have to read up a bit before trying it I think, as it may not be as simple a procedure as I though.

Otherwise I'm going to have to get a processed 35mm film to measure, and then also measure the length of the 120 backing paper, and then compare the two, to see if 24 or 36 exposure 35mm film is best and which gives the least wastage.

Final slap on head...

Terry S
Old 18th January 2021, 04:54 PM
Friend

Hello

Apologies for the colours, multiple experiments going on here, but this is 35mm through a 120 Ensign from the 1950's

Wind on is simply by giving the knob four half turns. There is a gap between frames, but at 18 frames to a roll still cost effective for playing. Unloading is in a changing bag, but at a push and with a bit of foil to wrap it in could be achieved under a coat.

Andy
Old 25th January 2021, 01:47 PM
Friend

And the adapters have arrived today, so it's time for a quick read up, some measuring of 35mm and 120 film lengths and then into the garden to try some test shots.

Terry S
Old 25th January 2021, 07:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And the adapters have arrived today, so it's time for a quick read up, some measuring of 35mm and 120 film lengths and then into the garden to try some test shots.

Terry S
I have some really rubbish no name c41 colour film that is well expired, I can send you a couple of rolls if you like. If you develop it in b&w chemicals you should get enough of an image to see the spacing. Pm your address if interested.
Old 25th January 2021, 08:22 PM
Friend

I have one pair of these and have run a roll of 35mm through a Mamiya RZ67 using them. I also made it redscale for extra wackiness. The wind on regime was the same as for 120 film and it didn't quite use all of a 24 exposure roll, to produce 10 exposures of 24mm * 69mm (not counting the sprocket area).

I taped a piece of 120 backing paper into the film back, to simulate the thickness of 120 film.

This was in the days of Poundland film so there wasn't much to lose.

If I did this again I would want to make a mask to fit in the waist level finder, but I've now bought a Horizon 202 which will meet my needs for 35mm panoramics for the time being.
Old 26th January 2021, 02:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I have some really rubbish no name c41 colour film that is well expired, I can send you a couple of rolls if you like. If you develop it in b&w chemicals you should get enough of an image to see the spacing. Pm your address if interested.
Many thanks for that offer Norm, I'm PM you as soon as I've made a cuppa coffee!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies