Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st July 2015, 02:29 PM
Friend

Default fomapan 200 film what have i done

I bought 10 rolls of fomapan 200asa 36exp film the other day and was delivered today I have put a roll in my camera and hope to try it out as son as possible ,I have been on the internet and the census seems to be with ilfosol 3 ,either 1x14 6mins or 1x9 4mins 30 sec .if you have used this film and or developed it in ilfosol 3 how did you get on with it ,I haven't gone mad I will be staying with ilford but I had a funny five minutes and fancied a change ,other than the odd Kodak film I have mostly used ilford film all my photography life...

what do you think of fomapan film ??????????????

www.essexcockney.com
Old 1st July 2015, 03:31 PM
Friend

Personally I love Fomapan film, I very rarely use anything else, I use both the 200, and the 400, I have yet to have any problems with it, in fact I have had more problems with Ilford and Kodak film than with Fomapan, it has a unique look, like the look you got in the good old days, I have never developed it in Ilfosol, I personally, having used it ever since it first became readily available over here, in fact for longer as I would stock up with it in France, I find that either D76 /ID11 stock at 8 minutes for the 400 or RO9 one shot/Rodinal at 1/50 for 11 minutes suit the film down to the ground. My Film of choice for all subjects.
Richard
Old 1st July 2015, 04:05 PM
Friend

This may seem like the blind trying to lead the one-eyed man as I have used Foma and it's been a long time since using Ilfosol but the consensus seems to be that a shorter dev time than 5 mins is to be avoided to be sure of even development and any deviation from a strict 4 mins 30 secs is worse than the same deviation from say twice that time.

I'd go for the longer time, especially if you want to develop at the current higher ambient temp in the U.K.

Mike
Old 1st July 2015, 04:56 PM
Friend

Hi Paul,

I have recently started to use Foma as my film of choice. I've moved away from Ilford as I prefer the look that this "old fashioned" style of emulsion gives, and it's a bit easier on the pocket

Can't speak for the 200 as I tend to use 100 for just about everything, but for what it's worth here's my timings.

I develop in D76 stock solution for 7 minutes (four inversions to start with and than four inversions every 30 seconds after that). Or 6 minutes with constant agitation, using LPL vibro agitator.

Have a few images in this album

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...hp?albumid=518

Hope my rambling has been of some help and you like the results you get from Foma.

Ian

P.S have you seen this
http://www.digitaltruth.com/products...omapan_200.pdf

Last edited by CambsIan; 1st July 2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 1st July 2015, 05:28 PM
Friend

hi Ian I have just had a look, lovely pictures thanks Richard mike and Ian for your positive advice ,I was getting worried maybe I had bought a cheap quality film ,but now I am looking forward to using it ,I must admit I do like FP4 but if its different or as bailey says "different attitude" I am sure there is some room in my camera bag for a new to me film.
if you think that a longer development will suite the film better I will try the 1x14 -6mins and see how it goes .I will let you know how I got on.

www.essexcockney.com
Old 1st July 2015, 06:26 PM
Friend

Hi Paul,
I have used Foma 400 for about 15 years, but have only recently started using Foma 200. Here's what I've found.

1 You get a "different" unique look with the 400, but the 200 looks a lot like FP4 to me. (In direct comparison shots using both 5x4 and 120 film.)

2 I don't get box speed with either film, and suggest you rate your Foma 200 at 125 and take it from there.

3 Foma 200 needs less development than the 400. I have always found that the 400 needs the same development time as HP5 and Tri x. I give it 14 minutes in ID11 at 1:2 for film taken in sunny condition. I find that the 200 only needs 10 minutes.

Hope this is useful. Good luck.

Alan
Old 1st July 2015, 07:35 PM
Friend

I have used Fomapan 200 in 120 in the past, beautiful tonality, and 400 which exhibits peculiar colour response. I use Fomapan 100 as my standard film in 4x5 due to price and I'm satisfied as it developes fast which is beneficial for tray development (less time in total darkenss for me).
Old 1st July 2015, 08:24 PM
Friend

I've used a lot of Fomapan 100 & 200 over the past 8 years, because it was available and Tmax 100 wasn't. It's my fall back film when Delta 100 isn't available.

Don't misinterpret that, I get excellent results with Foma films, they need taming though as they tend to build up contrast very quickly, that means shorter dev times compared to other films and half box speed in my case.

I guess I could make Foma films my main choice but I love the quality of Delta 100 in 120 and 5x4, and also HP5 in 5x4 and HP5 is my choice of film for had-held LF work with my Super Graphic.

The current exhibition sets I'm working on are all MF/LF some Ilford Delta 100/400 and HP5 as well as Fomapan 100 & 200, all print easily.

Ian
Old 2nd July 2015, 07:25 AM
Friend

I used use Foma 200, I had trouble bending it to the way i work. The neg's tended to be a bit thin for my liking so switch to foma 100 which is a great film. I have also started using Foma 400 and so far has also produced some great results.

I used to develop my 200 in ID11 at 1+1 It would produced some well toned neg's even though they were thin.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I bought 10 rolls of fomapan 200asa 36exp film the other day and was delivered today I have put a roll in my camera and hope to try it out as son as possible ,I have been on the internet and the census seems to be with ilfosol 3 ,either 1x14 6mins or 1x9 4mins 30 sec .if you have used this film and or developed it in ilfosol 3 how did you get on with it ,I haven't gone mad I will be staying with ilford but I had a funny five minutes and fancied a change ,other than the odd Kodak film I have mostly used ilford film all my photography life...

what do you think of fomapan film ??????????????

www.essexcockney.com
It's very good but ILFORD film is still the best... Especially if you want it to lie flat in the negative carrier...

richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies