Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th November 2008, 06:48 PM
Friend

Default Water rates

I'm curious what others pay annually for water rates.

Living in the South West which has more than its fair share of rain through the winter months combined with a big wet soggy mass called Dartmoor which is a massive catchment area for all that free rain, you would think that water down here would be pretty cheap what with low population and plenty of available water. Far from it. I'm not metered and pay £600 annually which is steep. I'm considering getting a meter but have no idea what that will cost if I am doing a lot of printing and letting the water flow through washers.

What are you paying annually on metered systems and how much printing are you doing?
Old 9th November 2008, 07:30 PM
Friend

I am metered in the Anglian Water region and unfortunately one area's water metered charges may bear little relationship to another's. However my metered bill is nowhere near £600 p.a. I have a direct debit of £22 a month so about £264 p.a.

I need to add some qualified comments. 1. There is only the wife and I left.
2. We shower moderately and do not use baths.
3. We do have a washing machine and dishwasher. Both are probably used a couple of times a week.
4. Since we have been metered The Midlands has yet to experience a really dry spell calling for frequent hosing of garden but there have been short dry spells where the hose was used but not a sprinkler.

I have managed at this kind of level of bill for a few years and it includes power washing of a fairly large block paved area which is a major user of water. In fact I suspect that at the next reading my power washing of the block paving this autumn will result in an increase in the direct debit.

I do not do FB paper and I'd describe myself as only a moderate darkroom user overall.

Having said all that I couldn't envisage my bill rising to anywhere near £600 p.a. even if my consumption increased considerably.

Unless the South West Water Authority metered water charges are extortionate and if your circumstances are anything like mine, I'd be amazed if getting a meter didn't reduce your bill.

Mike O'Pray
Old 9th November 2008, 08:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
I'm curious what others pay annually for water rates.

Living in the South West which has more than its fair share of rain through the winter months combined with a big wet soggy mass called Dartmoor which is a massive catchment area for all that free rain, you would think that water down here would be pretty cheap what with low population and plenty of available water. Far from it. I'm not metered and pay £600 annually which is steep. I'm considering getting a meter but have no idea what that will cost if I am doing a lot of printing and letting the water flow through washers.

What are you paying annually on metered systems and how much printing are you doing?
Hi,

Unfortuantely the South West has probably the most expensive water charges in the UK. The reason often given is that we have the most coast line to keep clean (it is not all about supplying water) for the holiday makers! I was amused by a suggestion made on Radio Cornwall a short while ago that maybe a 'clean beach' charge should be made on the Devon / Cornwall borders, on all incoming tourists, as they made more use of the beaches than the locals I would rather not think about our water rate bill is (we are not on a meter) but it is in excess of £600. However, I do have a large garden, a green house, a polytunnel and two Nova print washers that all need water and as we don't want to move out of Cornwall - we just pay up

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th November 2008, 08:04 PM
Friend

We are paying £23 a month. As far as I can see this equates to about 85 cubic metres a year. Hope that helps.
Old 9th November 2008, 08:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We are paying £23 a month. As far as I can see this equates to about 85 cubic metres a year. Hope that helps.
Dave,

How much coastline is there around Northamptonshire ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 9th November 2008, 08:40 PM
Friend

I'm not on a meter yet; my London water rates is £243/annum. We don't have a coast line but we do have the Thames
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 9th November 2008, 08:41 PM
Friend

Folklore has it that we used to have one of the Great Lakes on loan in Northants but over the summer of '76 it shrunk and became Pitsford Reservoir. It is further said that we have had to commit to N America to restoring it back to full size and then towing it across.

So far we've failed. George Bush is convinced it was Lake Huron that we had and therefore his property and that's why he got away with using "Yo Blair" as a greeting. We can only hope that Barack is more balanced as he lives on Huron's shores and knows it's still there by Chicago.

Pitsford actually contains the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but in our case it was a 19th century depressed poacher who one night realised that the Carlsberg brewery would take a 100 years to get to Northampton and that until the grave he'd be forced to drink Phipps ales, so threw himself in.

Northamptonshire - landlocked but full of imaginative people

Mike
Old 9th November 2008, 08:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Folklore has it that we used to have one of the Great Lakes on loan in Northants but over the summer of '76 it shrunk and became Pitsford Reservoir. It is further said that we have had to commit to N America to restoring it back to full size and then towing it across.

So far we've failed. George Bush is convinced it was Lake Huron that we had and therefore his property and that's why he got away with using "Yo Blair" as a greeting. We can only hope that Barack is more balanced as he lives on Huron's shores and knows it's still there by Chicago.

Pitsford actually contains the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but in our case it was a 19th century depressed poacher who one night realised that the Carlsberg brewery would take a 100 years to get to Northampton and that until the grave he'd be forced to drink Phipps ales, so threw himself in.

Northamptonshire - landlocked but full of imaginative people

Mike
I'm not sure what you're on tonight Mike; but could you spare a drop?
Old 9th November 2008, 09:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mono-inthedark View Post
Hi,
The reason often given is that we have the most coast line to keep clean (it is not all about supplying water) for the holiday makers!
Yes we have lots of coastline but if I'm not mistaken, its the council who keep the beaches clean. The water companies just pump raw sewage into the sea so they keep their costs down by not processing it. A friend of mine used to work for the Water Research Council and they did a study of all the outflows around the country. In my area, there is a huge outflow that pumps raw sewage out just off start point. The local council know when to do their "blue flag beach testing" so that tides are in their favour and the sewage is being moved in the opposite direction.

Pure myth that beaches have anything to do with water costs. Its because the native population is very low. Whilst it mutiplies several times over during the summer causing a lot of extra "movements", those movements are not charged for. Simple solution is to put turd counters in the down pipe of all holiday accomodation and charge for them.
Old 9th November 2008, 09:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
I'm not on a meter yet; my London water rates is £243/annum. We don't have a coast line but we do have the Thames
Trevor,

Indeed - and a good point. Maybe you have more people living up there which helps keeps the water rates down

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies