Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th July 2021, 11:02 AM
Friend

In practical terms the Bronica SQAi 250 mm lens will get you 3 mtrs closer to your subject at the closes point of focus.

The only way to know if the lens will do what you need is to try one out.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th July 2021, 04:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Here are my calculations for the 35mm film format equivalent of 150mm focal length lens on 6x6 in millimetres.

Film diagonal 35mm (24x36) = 43.2mm
Film diagonal 6x6 (56×56) = 79.2mm

43.2 ÷ 79.2 = 0.545mm
0.545 x 150 = 81.75mm

However, gven that the standard 50mm focal length lens of 35mm is 15% longer than the film format diagonal, the equivalent in 6x6 would be a 94mm lens.
81.75 + 15% = 94mm

In conclusion, scientifically, I don't see how lens focal length equivalents can be calculated without taking the film format into consideration.
And optically, the difference between the 35mm standard 50 lens vs 150mm lens is a multiple factor of x3.
While the equivalent 6x6 standard 80mm lens vs 150mm is only a multiple factor of x1.9.
Therefore, the impact of a 150mm lens on 6x6 could be visually underwhelming in comparison to a 150mm on 35mm film format.
A lens of 250 would perhaps be more satisfying in this respect.

Thank you Marty, I think that a 250mm is what I need to find to make it worthwhile, in the meantime it will have to be back to 35mm format as I have the lenses for that, I’m just rather smitten with the 6x6 format and the rather satisfying ’clunk’ of the bronica 😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6th July 2021, 05:19 PM
Friend

I always like 50mm 150mm 250mm for medium format
Old 7th July 2021, 10:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonJane View Post
...and the rather satisfying ’clunk’ of the bronica
I used to use a Bronica with the 40mm because I couldn't afford the Hasselblad SWC I trained on. It was rather good - rectilinear and sharp to the corners. Then my grandchildren arrived and I bought the 150mm. The 'clunk' prevented multiple shots of the little angels - after the first clunk, their faces never showed that lovely glow again.
Watch out for the Bronica shutter battery drain in really frosty weather. The only warning of imminent failure is in the instruction manual, nowhere on the camera.
I swapped it for cash and a Hasselblad outfit, at a rock-bottom price in 2009 when many pros decamped to d.... It's much quieter and it's easier to lock up the mirror if you're doing babies. Or squirrels.
The Zeiss lenses are horrendously expensive and the early 50mm Distagon was a real disappointment.
Old 8th July 2021, 09:20 AM
Friend

The Bronica makers sold a battery holder that you placed in a warm, inside jacket pocket. A lead from this led out from under your clothing to a dummy battery that had contacts on each end that when placed into the camera battery compartment supplied the necessary power in cold weather.
A simple enough accessory suitable for DIY.
I never had any problems, but never experienced Arctic travel, just the snowy Lake District tops in the middle of winter.

Cheers.
Old 8th July 2021, 05:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I used to use a Bronica with the 40mm because I couldn't afford the Hasselblad SWC I trained on. It was rather good - rectilinear and sharp to the corners. Then my grandchildren arrived and I bought the 150mm. The 'clunk' prevented multiple shots of the little angels - after the first clunk, their faces never showed that lovely glow again.
Watch out for the Bronica shutter battery drain in really frosty weather. The only warning of imminent failure is in the instruction manual, nowhere on the camera.
I swapped it for cash and a Hasselblad outfit, at a rock-bottom price in 2009 when many pros decamped to d.... It's much quieter and it's easier to lock up the mirror if you're doing babies. Or squirrels.
The Zeiss lenses are horrendously expensive and the early 50mm Distagon was a real disappointment.

Not in the grandma category as yet! Anything squirrel sized is way to fast and tends to be in very inaccessible places. The Highland Coos up here are made of sterner stuff, I think it would require quite a bit more noise (Dounreay going bang!) to make one of the critters blink, let alone any thing else, they look at me with total disdain when I stand by the fence waving greenery in an effort to get the close up shot whilst holding cable release in the other hand and squinting into the camera praying the wretched creature is in shot, and hoping I don’t drop my glasses!

Still love that clunk though 🤓

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20th July 2021, 07:08 AM
Friend

I had the 150mm, 250mm, and 500mm lenses at one time. I found I didn't use the 500mm much due to size constraints. The 150mm and 250mm lenses have fairly long minimum focusing distances, which is worth baring in mind depending on your usage.

If I were to get back into needing longer focal lengths with my Bronica system I would consider trying to get hold of the 180mm f/4.5 which can focus down to a meter but seems to be very rare.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies