Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th December 2016, 10:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Just as a matter of interest, Mitch which Utube video was this?

Thanks

Mike
You've got me there Mike. The gent in question was showing how he toned his images then offered them for sale. To be honest I was not pay that much attention

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th December 2016, 10:49 AM
Friend

I have no intention of changing the way I fixing my prints. I follow the instructions and have stuck with it for decades without mishap.
The main reason I mentioned this is because it struck me as odd and no one here has alluded to it before.
A thumbs up to the quality of information shared here.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 28th December 2016, 07:55 PM
Friend

It was mentioned somewhere that a dilution of 1+4 was better for FB paper from the point of view that the paper spent less time in the chemical. The idea seemed to be that there was less fixer absorbed into the paper base and it was, therefore, easier to fully wash the paper. Does anyone know if this is sound theory?
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th December 2016, 09:18 PM
Friend

Default Fixing Fibre based

I have never heard that one.

Fixing, to be complete and thorough, needs to penetrate to the base of the silver halide which of course would be aided by a weaker dilution and also easier to wash out afterwards as well.
So no, I would stick to the fixer manufacturers recommendations on that too.
Old 28th December 2016, 09:42 PM
Friend

I must admit to also having heard/read somewhere that for FB paper a "film" dilution of 1+4 was better on the same basis as Alex has said, namely that the two dilutions do the same job but as 1+4 does it more quickly there is less fixer penetration to wash out. On the other hand if fixer has to penetrate to a certain level and in a set quantity to do its job which is time related then is less fixer for longer in fact any better than more fixer for less time if the minimum amount needed is strength and time related?

I confess to not knowing enough about chemistry of paper processing to know.

Mike
Old 29th December 2016, 10:27 AM
Friend

I know that fix times are critical when it comes to wash times. If it states for example a minute you should not leave the paper in any longer. It is the emulsion side of the paper that is slow to release any exes fix.

Tags
fix, neat, paper, printing, rapid
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies