Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st February 2020, 03:08 PM
Friend

thanks for this. i just checked. its the cheapest price for kodak portra 400
Old 1st February 2020, 03:11 PM
Friend

I've just done some comparisons between Silverprint's online shop in Dorset and their ebay site. Most of the items on ebay are a few pounds dearer than in the shop, to pay for the p/p obviously, but makes life easier when you just need one or two items.

But, as you have pointed out, the Portra film in 120 on ebay, does appear to be quite a bit cheaper than the shop price, even when they've included the p/p. This better price doesn't reflect across the whole stock though, which is a shame, as it would make buying stuff so much easier. I like to know about any hidden p/p charges and prefer the all inclusive price stated from the start.

And just reading another link, for the following shop, they do seem to price their darkroom paper well, and I need some to do a backlog of contact sheets. I've used Fotospeed paper before and liked it and they sell 100 sheets of it in RC 10 x 8, at only £37.00! Obviously there is a bit of p/p, but they are still cheaper than any other price that I can find. The Ilford is also a bit cheaper, being only £41.00 for 100 sheets of RC 10 x 8.

Shame we all don't have a local shop like this, to save on the p/p!

Before I make an order, I'd be interested if anyone else knows of anywhere else doing good prices on RC 10 x 8?

And before I forget, the shop link is:

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/adv...rds=multigrade

Terry S
Old 1st February 2020, 03:15 PM
Friend

!!! And just checking, the above site sells 5 x 120 rolls of Kodak Portra for £32.50 + £6.00 p/p, making it £38.50, making it £0.50 cheaper still! Buying more will obviously bring the price down if you can keep within the postage limits. A quick work out and I think if you buy x 10 rolls, the £6.00 p/p stays the same, so it would save you £6.50!

Terry S
Old 1st February 2020, 03:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I've just done some comparisons between Silverprint's online shop in Dorset and their ebay site. Most of the items on ebay are a few pounds dearer than in the shop, to pay for the p/p obviously, but makes life easier when you just need one or two items.

But, as you have pointed out, the Portra film in 120 on ebay, does appear to be quite a bit cheaper than the shop price, even when they've included the p/p. This better price doesn't reflect across the whole stock though, which is a shame, as it would make buying stuff so much easier. I like to know about any hidden p/p charges and prefer the all inclusive price stated from the start.

And just reading another link, for the following shop, they do seem to price their darkroom paper well, and I need some to do a backlog of contact sheets. I've used Fotospeed paper before and liked it and they sell 100 sheets of it in RC 10 x 8, at only £37.00! Obviously there is a bit of p/p, but they are still cheaper than any other price that I can find. The Ilford is also a bit cheaper, being only £41.00 for 100 sheets of RC 10 x 8.

Before I make an order, I'd be interested if anyone else knows of anywhere else doing good prices on RC 10 x 8?

Terry S
Are Bristol cameras any good? I'm sure I read somewhere that they where slow delivery and they often don't have stuff in stock they say they do?
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:50 PM
Friend

Default Has anyone used Bristol Cameras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
Are Bristol cameras any good? I'm sure I read somewhere that they where slow delivery and they often don't have stuff in stock they say they do?
I hadn't got around to looking at reviews for the store yesterday, which I usually do before buying just about anything on the web.

But having now read quite a few reviews, it seems that it depends on the staffs mood on any particular day, if you get good service or not - and this seems to include in person, by email (generally ignored) or by phone (if they can be bothered answering at all).

The reviews are either 5/5 and "Excellent!", or 1/5 to 2/5 and "I won't shop there ever again!"

I'm now in two minds if saving a few quid is worth it?

Has anyone on this forum ever used Bristol Cameras?

And as for not having 'stuff in stock they say they do?', amongst all of their terms and conditions, it is said that they don't hold stock of all of the thousands of items listed, but can generally get them in 2-3 days from their suppliers. I do wonder how many other places operate like this? I can imagine that slow selling items might be sold on order, but surely a shop should have the majority of items it has listed for sale in stock? I mean, what if I went in off of the street to be told this? I wonder if I would just go else where?

Terry S
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:16 PM
Friend

it seems that it depends on the staffs mood on any particular day, if you get good service or not - and this seems to include in person, by email (generally ignored) or by phone (if they can be bothered answering at all). UNQUOTE

I remember years ago before we had the internet, being in a very busy shop one Saturday morning.
I think it was about two staff behind the counter and five or six customers patiently waiting their turn to purchase their goods or quiz the staff for advice. I waited about half an hour to be served.
The phone in the back room rang continuously. And was ignored by the staff.
After about twenty minutes of the phone ringing the manager addressed the customers in the shop and said "you chaps have made the effort to travel into town and actually buy stuff. I shall serve you all first before I answer the phone."
It put a smile on every ones face.
The wait didn't seem so bad in the end, it had broke the ice and we all had a nice chat until our turn came.

I assume that the above Bristol Camera Shop is a small concern also.
I have purchased a few small items and one camera from them by mail order with no delays or problems at all.

Cheers all.
Old 2nd February 2020, 05:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
I have purchased a few small items and one camera from them by mail order with no delays or problems at all.

Cheers all.
Thanks for the story and the above experience Nat.

As I'm really only after a well priced box or two of RC paper, I may still give them an initial try out. I mean, how could an uncomplicated order of just one or two small boxes to be sent out go wrong at all?...

These may be 'famous last words', but if I order, I will report back either way.

Now where's that bit of wood to touch?...

Terry S
Old 2nd February 2020, 05:17 PM
Friend

Reminiscent of a comedy film from the seventies called "The Wrong Box" starring Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore as well as a load of other stars of the day.

Cheers Terry
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:48 PM
Friend

Quote:

Terry S
I still think Silverprint is one of the best places for analogue photographic film/paper/chemicals/et al

Like everyone - they make mistakes and have off days but are generally very good.

Martin
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:18 PM
Friend

Quote:

Terry S
Bristol cameras, the last time I looked (a month or so ago) seemed to be the only place with Tetenal C41 and RA4 2.5l kits at the old price too. At the time I didn't need any, but I wish I had ordered them anyway. Last week I rang up on another enquiry and spoke to someone I assumed was the manager and was a little disappointed with his attitude - a very much, a take it or leave it sort of person was the impression I got.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies