Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd October 2012, 10:15 PM
New User

Default Auto range 820 Ross London

Hi everyone

Can anyone give me info on this
Old 25th October 2012, 08:46 PM
Friend

Hello and welcome to FADU!

Sorry, I've got no personal experience with this camera.
But if it's just info your after there's plenty out there!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 26th October 2012, 05:41 AM
Friend

Hi and welcome to Fadu, sorry I don't know the Ensign Autorange, but I have 4 Ensign cameras and they are great cameras and very usable, the only thing about the autorange 820 is that it has a very good reputation, and was in production from the early 30's, and if it is a Ross ensign and has the Ross xpress lens then it is a later model as Ross took over Ensign in, I believe, the late 40's early 50's, and the express lens is a tesser type, and as good, if not better, than the tesser lens, I say this from using several cameras fitted with the tesser lens, and the Epsilon shutter is not bad at all, it may need a service, but if it is not sticking then it gives very little trouble, just on quirk is that you must never move from 25 to 10 on the shutter with the shutter cocked, that can badly damange the shutter, if fact it is better never to change shutter speed with the shutter cocked, apart from that these cameras are very capable indeed.
Richard
Old 26th October 2012, 09:08 AM
Friend

The Autorange 820 is the top of the range MF Ensign camera of the 1950's, prior to this the rangefinder weren't coupled. They are quite desirable cameras and in very good condition fetch quite high prices.

I have to basic Selfix 820 with no rangefinder and there was a Selfix 820 special with an uncoupled rangefinder as we.

Hope you're going to use it

Ross didn't take over Ensign they merged with Barnet-Ensign. Ensign was a trade name used by Houghtons and the Ensign flag appeared on their cameras as far back as 1904.

Ian
Old 26th October 2012, 10:36 AM
Friend

What shutter does your camera have ? The Ross Ensign adverts show the New Autorange 820's with a Prontor SVS but some had an Epsilon.

Ian
Old 26th October 2012, 12:07 PM
Friend

They're also terribly expensive! I saw one on ebay yesterday and it was already over £400... it won't stop there!
Welcome to fadu.... take a mo to introduce yourself once you've read the home page.
Old 26th October 2012, 02:29 PM
Friend

If you want a Ensign with a coupled rangefinder and the Autorange, which was the top of the Ensign range and have become almost cult cameras, then try looking for a Commando, they were made just after the last war, originally designed for the Army, and later modified for general sale,with the Ensar lens, which was for many years pre Ross, the standard lens of the ensign range, it is uncoated, but is very good indeed, they go for considrably less than Autorange's, but are fairly unusual as the focusing is Focal Plane, which works a treat, produces lovely photographs, I have one and love it, it is also a dual range camera, using built in masks for 645, or standard 6/6, worth getting one if you can find one.
Richard
Old 26th October 2012, 05:11 PM
Friend

Just to add that I must have damaged the Epsilon shutter of my Selfix 12/20 as it was jammed up for over 2 years -- then some weeks ago I had one more go at it and suddenly it fired -- but now the actual shutter release does not work and I have to fire the shutter by setting the spring and let it 'snap back', but at least the shutter opens now !

Selfix 12 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Selfix test 05 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies