Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th October 2013, 01:21 PM
Friend

I was wondering if anybody uses Google Analytics ,and if so dose it help to get more sales ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 6th October 2013, 03:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I was wondering if anybody uses Google Analytics ,and if so dose it help to get more sales ...

www.essexcockney.com
Probably would if your site had paying advertisers on, or if you were paying others.
From what I've been told these days it's apparently a must to do Flickr, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, twitter, etc, etc. The list is never ending, and for whatever reason I can't square up to doing all that stuff, although the kids continue to think I'm a dinosaur for not being on Facebook.
I did meet a press photographer recently though that said using Instagram had brought him loads of new work.
All the best
Richard
Old 6th October 2013, 05:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Well thank you very much! I have been around quite a while now - or at least it feels that way - so I suppose I ought to have one or two pics worth sticking above the mantle piece.

Cheers
Richard
Richard is being very modest. I remember a talk he gave to the yorkshire Monochrome Group a few years ago. He showed some stunning photographs, including some very large prints about three feet across. Great stuff!

Alan
Old 6th October 2013, 06:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Richard is being very modest. I remember a talk he gave to the yorkshire Monochrome Group a few years ago. He showed some stunning photographs, including some very large prints about three feet across. Great stuff!

Alan
Alan
I remember that well! Friendly group and a lavish lunch, and I also remember losing out bidding in a sale for a 5x7 wooden field camera, but coming away with an Olympus trip!
I think I gave the group one of those big prints - an image of gushing water printed 36 inches wide from an Olympus pen half frame negative. Hope it's still there!

All the best
Richard
Old 6th October 2013, 06:53 PM
Friend

Richard, I hate to mention this, but it was me who outbid you for the camera - a Victorian mahogany and brass half plate beauty, with two lenses and bellows that were hanging off. If memory serves me right, you dropped out after the bidding reached £12 and I got it for £13.
You will be pleased to know that I restored the camera, made a new set of bellows for it, and altered the back so it takes modern 5 x 7 filmholders. And I use it quite a bit, mainly to take pictures of trees in Winter, for some reason.

Alan
Old 6th October 2013, 07:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Richard, I hate to mention this, but it was me who outbid you for the camera - a Victorian mahogany and brass half plate beauty, with two lenses and bellows that were hanging off. If memory serves me right, you dropped out after the bidding reached £12 and I got it for £13.
You will be pleased to know that I restored the camera, made a new set of bellows for it, and altered the back so it takes modern 5 x 7 filmholders. And I use it quite a bit, mainly to take pictures of trees in Winter, for some reason.

Alan
I dropped out after £12! Actually I got the impression at the time you were keen to get it.
Glad it's in use. Still a bargain for £13.

All the best
Richard
Old 6th October 2013, 10:09 PM
Friend

Richard, it was five or six years ago. £12 was a lot of money in those days...
And I am grateful that you let me get it!

I do remember your large prints from Olympus half frame negatives. A 10" print from such a negative might have unacceptable grain, but your prints were so large they overcame the grain problem, and became beautiful objects that were quite unique.

Alan
Old 11th October 2013, 07:09 AM
Friend

I think it is really difficult to make a decent living from photography, particularly these days with the digital revolution, so many people have cameras and the web is strewn with photographs from all corners of the world.

At best I've earned enough money from publishing, some print sales, etc., to help pay for a small amount of equipment. For me photography has always been just for pleasure and never really for commercial gain.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 12th October 2013, 11:43 PM
Friend

I had some dealings with someone who turned out to be a professional photographer recently. Although we didn't have much time to chat, what struck me as a hobbyist was when I asked him what sort of photographs he took and he answered "I have to take what I can sell."

I've never made a penny from photography, and probably never will, but at least I can take the kind of photographs I want.
Old 13th October 2013, 06:29 AM
Friend

James.
Good point, although I've never known what people want.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies