Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th April 2014, 04:26 PM
Friend

Default Ilford N America Price Alignment/ Reduction

For those of you who use Ilford film and paper, you may want to look on APUG at Simon Galley's announcement today. Briefly Ilford has announced an alignment of FP4+ 135 x36 frame film and its HP5+ Apparently FP4+ wasn't aligned with HP5+ in N Amerca whereas in the UK. it is, so in his reply to a U.K. based poster asking for a similar price reduction Simon has replied in the negative pointing out that in N America it was a price alignment whereas in the U.K. the price is aligned which I think it is by and large.

The second part of the announcement concerns the price alignment of MG RC Cooltone with MGIV RC.

Simon Galley in his answer to the said U.K poster didn't mention the paper price alignment which doesn't seem to be aligned here either.

A quick look at several sponsor prices for 5x7 paper shows over £4 more for CT paper in 100 sheet box of 5x7

I have asked Simon if he could explain why there is no announcement on a U.K. alignment as clearly the argument that applies to the two films where in the U.K we are already aligned does not appear to apply to MGIV and CT paper.

I await a response and if I get one I'll share it with you all here.

Mike
Old 11th April 2014, 07:22 PM
Friend

When they align the UK prices so they match the very much lower US prices (allowing for tax variations) I might make a large UK order for some Ilford films and papers.

Meanwhile I've Ilford film stock left and I'm also more than happy to keep using Foma films and papers and increase that usage.

In the meantime I'll continue buying Ilford films from the US.

Ian
Old 12th April 2014, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Won't effect the UK Prices. As an example Ilford FP4+ 5x4 100 Sheets is currently: -

B&H (USA) $124.95 (approximately $124.95/1.67 = £74.82)
Silverprint £143.64

(Please note this is a personal gripe)
Old 12th April 2014, 03:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Won't effect the UK Prices. As an example Ilford FP4+ 5x4 100 Sheets is currently: -

B&H (USA) $124.95 (approximately $124.95/1.67 = £74.82)
Silverprint £143.64

Yes Barry, unfortunately as far as film price is concerned I am sure you are right and to give credit to Simon Galley he was totally upfront on this in his reply to the U.K. poster. He simply said it was an alignment for N America only, given that 135 FP4+ and HP5+ were largely aligned here.

I saw no reason to believe that any kind of film price alignment between Europe and the U.S. is or ever will be forthcoming.

On a slightly brighter note Mr Galley did respond almost instantly to my point about there being no such alignment in the U.K. on MGIV and CT paper. I had only checked on a few U.K. based retailers so can't speak for Europe

Currently that's as far as the bright spot extends as his reply was to say that he would take this to the U.K. Sales Manager and come back to me.

I await the content of his "comeback to me" response with interest.

Mike
Old 12th April 2014, 05:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
It's my personal gripe as well. I did ask why on APUG a about 2-3 years ago and didn't really get an entirely satisfactory answer.

I have an account with B&H but now they add the Duty & Tax which in itself isn't an issue however they then add additional charges which make it uneconomic.

I get items sent to a friend in the US which is free postage, then he sends to me and I don't pay these additional charges.

B&H 5x4" FP4 100 sheets

SubTotal: $124.95
Duties & Tax : $72.19
Shipping: $43.95
Order Total: $241.09 / £144.37

Details of Duty Charges

VAT:$33.78
Disbursement:$18.40
Security & Handling:$5.01
Carrier Surcharge:$15.00
Total:$72.19

If I buy from B&H and have the film sent to a friend and he posts to the UK:

SubTotal: $124.95
Postage (recorded) $12
Total $136.95 / £82.01

If I end up paying Duty etc it adds approx 30% $41.08
so a Total of: $178.04 / £106.61

So the savings are wiped out buying Direct from B&H unless you buy direct on a trip to the US or via a friend.

Ian
Old 12th April 2014, 07:12 PM
Friend

We made a casual enquiry about the Us/UK price differential on the Ilford tour. The impression I got is that since the US is a huge market, and they essentially deal with one US distributor, that distributor hence has massive buying power and hence get a cheaper deal per item. Bearing in mind the internal domestic UK market is only about 10% of what Ilford sell. Also in north america they've got to price very keenly to sway patriotic americans away from Kodak products. I'm not saying its right but you can see a certain logic in it.
Old 12th April 2014, 07:39 PM
Friend

What DaveP has said about U.S. market size is right and what he has said about distributor leverage there may well be right also but I'd also be surprised if what Ian has concluded in his last sentence isn't also what Ilford's research has led them to conclude as well.

As a small "aside" when you read what a good number of US APUGers have to say about Kodak you'd seriously question how much patriotism extends any longer to Kodak. On the other hand the film market in the U.S. is considerably bigger than that which is represented by even the sizeable number of U.S. APUGers who have deserted Kodak.

Mike
Old 13th April 2014, 10:59 AM
Friend

Guys, can we please drop this recurring theme - it has been discussed endlessly here in many previous threads.

If you don't like the price differences between the UK and USA - then do something about it and vote with your wallets.

Thanks

Martin
Old 15th April 2014, 07:33 AM
Friend

Martin, it is a subject that needs occasionally revisiting.

In the past B&H would ship quite cheaply to the UK and so that was a viable proposition and you could save a very significant amount of money.

However as I pointed out above B&H now arrange and pay the Import Duty and VAT but their additional charges and high postage cost actually means that buying from them direct is more expensive than buying from one of the major UK suppliers like Silverprint or RK Photographic.

Ian
Old 15th April 2014, 04:30 PM
Friend

I can only speak for myself but I for one would certainly want to know from others' experience/knowledge when buying from U.S. stockists becomes worthwhile or not, given the large differences in price that exists in some items.

As a general rule, lack of knowledge in the "market place" only benefits only the seller.

On the issue of CT paper price alignment which is what prompted me to ask the question on APUG but keep those here on FADU in the picture, Simon Galley has now said that a full answer may take another week or so as the Sales manager needs to crunch out figures which is fair enough.

Once Simon gives me Ilford's full and final position I'll report back.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies