Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Equipment

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th August 2013, 09:25 PM
Friend

Default Good place for Ensign Autorange repairs?

I picked up an Ensign Autorange 16-20 at a local auction over the weekend. Once I've flogged off the other bits and pieces in the lot, it will have cost me nothing. The shutter is jammed and I'd hoped to be able to fix it myself but the Epsilon shutter is a bugger to get into. The camera and glass are in lovely condition so it's probably worthwhile getting it fixed. Can anyone suggest a good camera mechanic for old folders?

www.theonlinedarkroom.com
Old 27th August 2013, 07:02 AM
Friend

Brock,
I have used Newton and Ellis for a number of years to service my old cameras, as have many on here, always very helpful and good service, and so far I haven't found anything they couldn't repair, including ensign's with their Epsilon shutters, http://newtonellis.co.ukwill get you to their website,The Autorange cameras were very good indeed, as were all folding Ensign's so get it fixed and enjoy it
Richard
Old 28th August 2013, 12:04 AM
Friend

Hi Richard,

I emailed Newton and Ellis to get an idea of how much it might be to repair the Ensign and they quoted about £80 plus VAT. Having effectively got the camera for free, I'm a bit reluctant to spend almost £100 getting it fixed.

Tonight I had another wee look at it but I still can't see how to get in about the shutter. I removed the front and rear lens elements and just about every screw I could see but there was no access to the shutter's innards. The annoying thing is that the problem might be simple if I can just get a look at it. I've reset plenty of 35mm SLRs with much the same symptoms.

Old 28th August 2013, 04:48 AM
Friend

sorry I can't help you, The only time I tried to repair a camera I made such a mess I never tried again, to me these old clockwork shutters are tricky, but I believe that with the ensign's you need to take the complete unit out of the camera before taking it apart, that is remove the lens and shutter complete, take it apart, repair it then re build the unit and replace it in the camera, but others here may have more knowledge, but £80 is about right, remember you get a warrenty from them, and a camera that works well and takes great pictures, These epsilon shutters can be a problem to repair, they often need a realyt good clean, but once the Epsilon is working well they don't give any trouble
Richard
Old 28th August 2013, 07:32 AM
Friend

There's a number of variations of the Epsilon shutters and that's excluding the Kodak modified versions. The face plate are just held on by two screws usually.

I've been cleaning a few older shutters and on some there's a small catch lever that needs moving and then the front plate twists and comes off (byonet style fit).

However the epsilons are quite simple, have you removed the focus part that the front elements screw into ?

Have a look at this website.

I do see Epsilon shutters every now and again usually with lens cells though. I paid around £5-£7 for the spares I have all in good working condition but the only one I won't be using is a Kodak Epsilon so not appropriate for your camera.

Ian
Old 28th August 2013, 10:42 PM
Friend

FADU member Sandeha Lynch has worked on several cameras for me including Ensigns, having replaced bellows, cleaned shutters and giving them a general "once over".

He is very reasonable with his prices, and does a good job.

Contact details can be found at:

http://www.sandehalynch.com/
Old 29th August 2013, 08:57 PM
Friend

Thanks for replies everyone. It's frustrating knowing that there must be a simple way into this shutter but not knowing what it is! Here are a few pics in case someone out there can pick the lock, so to speak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e8.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	1851   Click image for larger version

Name:	e2.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1852   Click image for larger version

Name:	e3.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1853   Click image for larger version

Name:	e4.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1854   Click image for larger version

Name:	e5.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1855  

Click image for larger version

Name:	e6.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1856  

Last edited by Brock; 29th August 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 30th August 2013, 07:26 AM
Friend

The two screws are under the focus helical and that mechanism of the finder piece.

There may be images if you go through the sets on the link I posted.

Ian
Old 30th August 2013, 10:18 AM
Friend

Ian,

I've tried removing the focus helical but it wont budge. Does it screw on?

Old 30th August 2013, 05:26 PM
Friend

The focus helicals usually screw in, have a look through those links I think there's a set on removal, seem to remember they can be quite difficult.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies