Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th February 2017, 01:41 AM
Friend

Jez, you might take a look at pp. 76 and 77 (I think I got those right...) of your Darkroom Cookbook. Anchell mentions keeping two bottles beside your print developing tray: one with sodium carbonate sol'n, the other with potassium bromide sol'n. You use them to tweak the developer to adjust the look of a print.... Want cooler tones? Splash in some carbonate. Warmer? Drizzle in a bit of bromide. Great idea! I've never done it, but will definitely try it once I (finally) get my new darkroom running. Seems like an excellent way to tweak the characteristics of a std. developer like Dektol or Bromophen without having to mix a whole 'nother batch of formula.

Let me know if you try it...

Cheers,
Svend
Old 28th February 2017, 01:51 AM
Friend

Other than that, I would recommend keeping it simple - KIS principle. Personally, I have been mixing my own powder developers lately, and have the basic ingredients for three formulas (or more, if I wanted), each with a different "look", if you will. Perceptol/MicrodolX-type; D-76/ID-11; and Microphen. For D-76 I've been using a handy teaspoon recipe that I found on the web which works great -- no need to weigh everything, takes only a few minutes to toss together a batch.

I also have a bottle of Rodinal which I have tried on a couple of rolls, and will experiment more with - lasts forever, cheap, and always ready to use in a hurry, so a no-brainer to keep on hand. I will buy a couple of more ingredients so that I can make up D-72 paper developer also, and the aforementioned carbonate and bromide solutions.

Then there's the usual stop bath, rapid fixer, selenium toner, and Photo Flo....and that's all. Hope this helps...

Best,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 28th February 2017 at 01:56 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies