Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2012, 09:49 AM
Friend

Default Ilford paper

I've searched the forum for the appropiate answer, but haven't found what I'm looking for (sorry, Bono).

I have the opportunity from an outlet to buy Ilford paper. Glossy, pearl, satin, matt... I'm very confused with all that Ilford terminology. Until now, I've used mainly Fomabrom 111 and I'm very pleased with it, but I think this Ilford paper is a good chance to get paper for a lot of time at a very good price.

My first intention is the MGIV 44M: RC paper, 190g/m2, pearl finished.

What I'd like to know is: do you think is a good general paper? easily to tone? it isn't matt paper, true? do you think this paper —MGIV 44M— has similar look and feel than Fomabrom 111 —I know Foma is baryt paper and this Ilford is RC—?
Old 24th March 2012, 09:56 AM
Friend

Ilford MG is one of the best papers on the market, The pearl is a Lustre, the sheen is very close to a FB glossy air dried, and the satin is virtualy matt,I personally prefer in general to print on RC paper, and use Fotospeed rcve in lustre, which is made for fotospeed by Harman, apart from that, if you can get the Paper locally at a reasonable price, saving the postage costs the try it and see which you prefer.
Richard
Old 24th March 2012, 10:36 AM
Friend

Ilford RC paper does not tone easily. Foma is much better for toning.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:08 AM
Friend

I use this paper exclusively for B&W.
I also sepia tone it with good results, however you may find it is limited for other forms of toning.
If you can get some at a good price I am sure you will like it.
John
Old 24th March 2012, 02:16 PM
Friend

Ilford in RC only does three surfaces called glossy, pearl and satin. Its satin as others have said is in fact matt. Top quality paper. In the U.K. it is priced slightly higher than Kentmere, now an Ilford paper and usually slightly more than Fotospeed as well.

I say this as an indication that Ilford paper can command a slightly higher price which indicates that buyers consider it the best rather than it is definitely better than the other two but if it is available for a good price then certainly try some.

From reports I have seen and examples in books the Warmtone RC paper tones better but is quite a lot more expensive.

Mike
Old 25th March 2012, 08:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Ilford RC paper does not tone easily. Foma is much better for toning.
I saw some toned prints made on Ilford Multigrade IV RC Satin this weekend in Cornwall and the results were excellent.
Old 25th March 2012, 09:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
I saw some toned prints made on Ilford Multigrade IV RC Satin this weekend in Cornwall and the results were excellent.
What was/were the toner(s) used Keith? I must say that based on only an impression gained from Tim Rudman's toning book and not practical experience, I had concluded that Ilford MG wasn't as responsive to toning as some other papers.

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th March 2012, 04:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
What was/were the toner(s) used Keith? I must say that based on only an impression gained from Tim Rudman's toning book and not practical experience, I had concluded that Ilford MG wasn't as responsive to toning as some other papers.

Thanks

Mike
I can't remember exactly, but I think the photographer used thiorea and gold toners.
Neil or Bill Spears probably know much more about Clive's prints.
Old 28th March 2012, 04:51 PM
Friend

Ilford RC MG 1V tones fine and I have used it for years with thio, gold, selenium and blue toners.

My toned images (as shown in Cornwall) were split thio and gold on Ilford RC MG 1V Satin (matt). I can say that Clive's were much the same but with more bleach backs involved. Clive only uses Ilford MG 1V RC Satin (matt) and never uses any other paper. I am not sure what paper Bill uses but I am sure he will advise on this when he sees this thread.

In my experience the Ilford MG RC 1V paper tones well (in the toners I have used) but it is a tad slower in doing so than FB paper and some other RC papers. However, I consider this to be a big advantage as it enables you to have much more control over the toning process, especially when you are looking for delicate splits and lith like tones.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th March 2012, 05:38 PM
Friend

I echo what Neil says about toning Ilford RC MG IV, I have used it in the past with Thio,blue and gold, with excelent results, it is a tad slow, but, as Neil says, it gives you more control.
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies