Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2012, 08:46 PM
Friend

Default Ebay - Fees

Was listing some of my wife's maternity clothes on ebay at the weekend (yes, we're making an assumption we wont have a third....) - is it my imagination or was it always a 10% commission!!! Or has it increased recently?

A customer once asked us why we dont use ebay - this is probably the answer!
Old 21st May 2012, 08:51 PM
Friend

I find E*ay a bit of a nightmare as a seller. It's about as far from intuitive and user friendly as you can get.

And you have to pay for the privilege!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 21st May 2012, 09:30 PM
Friend

Been 10% for a while now... ends up nearer 20 after all the other fees. they bend over backwards for buyers and forget about the little sellers.
Old 21st May 2012, 09:43 PM
Friend

the trouble with ebay is they are getting greedy ,when money is tight small companies have to cut there profits but big companies seem to increase there's .
and you will end up dealing with the most honest person in the world or the biggest crook, and you have no way of knowing until its to late......
we have a small community of passionate photographers, and the good thing is some of them own and run photography shops so when ordering over the phone or face to face over a counter 99 times out of a hundred they love the hobby as much as we do .that's why I think its no loss not being on ebay .
Old 21st May 2012, 09:51 PM
Friend

The high commission, Matt, may explain why in the new products range such as chemicals, paper and film almost no-one on e-bay matches your prices.

Overall in these areas most retailers here on FADU and others who are not FADU sponsors beat e-bay.

Mike
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:46 AM
Friend

This is probably off topic, but here it is related with E-bay.

Quote:
Overall in these areas most retailers here on FADU and others who are not FADU sponsors beat e-bay.
Mike
I have been comparing prices on E-bay for films like Agfa and the 3 Chinese factories or brands like Lucky, GP3 and Shanghai.
In most cases, E-bay prices are higher or equal as to order from an UK retailer. Overall they are higher.
Their quality is questionable, especially the Chinese manufactures, as it seems there are variations from batch to batch.
In any case, how the products are cared for are in most cases an unknown quality.
In other forums and places I have seen people relating also cases of very high prices for films that are much cheaper elsewhere or are expired films. So, some people think these days that expired equals vintage and so price must be higher!
As an observation, I only found one UK retailer that stocks one brand of Chinese films. I believe the lack of availability of these films in the UK might have to do with their quality. I wish it wouldn't be the case and hope in the future that Chinese brands can match the quality of Western offerings and could offer unique emulsions or replacements for discontinued ones. I also hope that brands like Adox, Foma, Efke and others prosper and flourish.
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:06 AM
Friend

Yes, 10% now, and about 18 to 20% for the final bill when you take PayPal fees into account as I found out last month when I sold a lot of bits through them. They are not short of customers though.
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yes, 10% now, and about 18 to 20% for the final bill when you take PayPal fees into account as I found out last month when I sold a lot of bits through them. They are not short of customers though.
the issue may be they don't have competitors? I also have a few things to sell and don't know anywhere else to go, do you?
Incidentally, ebay.de charge 9%!
Peter
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
the issue may be they don't have competitors? I also have a few things to sell and don't know anywhere else to go, do you?
Incidentally, ebay.de charge 9%!
Peter
For odds and ends or items that I think may be difficult to shift I use eBay/PayPal whilst for lenses and cameras I use Ffordes to sell them for me on a commission basis.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:12 AM
Friend

Ffordes charge 20% commission but are a whole lot less hassle than eBay. Just send them the kit and wait for the cheque, it's not usually long in coming!

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies