Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th December 2016, 04:09 PM
Friend

Default Bromoil progress with minor difficulty

I have now been using the Foma 112 paper and am starting to get a 'feel' for the process.
One of the problems though, is that I keep getting an area around the outside of the image which will not take the ink to the same extent as the centre area. I can only think that is due to the paper becoming water-logged through the edges of the paper and soaking inwards.
I soak the paper for 5-7 minutes and when I soak for only 3 minutes it seems to cure the problem. That, of course, has its own consequent in that the paper is then not soaked enough to take the ink. I'm wondering whether that is the reason it is recommended to leave a 1 inch border all round?
Other than that I feel I'm progressing. A couple of test prints below, only small, about 6 x 5 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CO chooks.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2624   Click image for larger version

Name:	CO woodland.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	2625  
Old 12th December 2016, 05:11 AM
Friend

They look really good Colin I particularly like the soft texture they have.
Richard
Old 12th December 2016, 09:19 AM
Friend

Very nice Bromoils - well done.

I was taught to leave a 1 inch border but my understanding is it was for a handling edge. You do of course ink into the border, but this is wiped away with a damp sponge, chamiss leather or a cotton wool swab.

About 10 mins soak is recommended (at room temp) but this can be shortened / lengthened to suit the paper / bleach being used. I have left prints in the soak for 30 mins or so and they still inked up.

It is important to dry the paper correctly prior to inking. I use a chamiss leather and several sheets of art quality blotting paper. To finish off a dab all over with a folded sheet of kitchen roll to make sure no damp areas are left.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th December 2016, 07:02 PM
Friend

https://bromoilpapers.wordpress.com/
Old 17th December 2016, 09:30 PM
Friend

Beware - AFAIK the Fomatone emulsion change that happened a while back has made these papers difficult to ink up - don't assume that they are still good for Bromoils. IMAGO is supposed to be discontinued - we shall see. Interestingly the currently available Fomatone papers are also not so good for lith printing.

The only currently made paper I know of that can be used for Bromoils, and one that I use, is Slavich. But even that is now impossible to buy in the UK.

You can of course attempt to Bromoil on any paper, old or new, but you will have to spend a lot of time to get an acceptable result, and mostly you will fail.

Liquid Emulsion is an alternative but not for the beginner to Bromoils. I have tried it myself and the jury is still out on that one.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 17th December 2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 18th December 2016, 09:48 PM
Friend

I think you are soaking the paper for to long. The modern papers used for bromoiling tend to allow water between the emulsion and the paper base, and in some cases the emulsion can lift off.

Try soaking again for 3 minutes and gradually build up the ink. You can soak for 3 minutes as many times as is needed,within reason.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies