Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th August 2020, 09:59 PM
New User

Default Liquid Light yellowing

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has experience with liquid light? I had a go with it at university and found that my prints often had a yellow tint to them. I was printing on ceramic tiles, and didn't do the subbing gelatin process which I have just learned about (so that may have been the issue). Was just wondering if there could be another cause? Heres a link to my instagram for some pictures, thanks https://www.instagram.com/p/CCD6fyFpgCx/
Old 9th August 2020, 03:54 PM
Friend

I’m not sure you would need a subbing layer if the tiles are glazed to begin with. It’s normally used on porous surfaces like paper or cloth. I haven’t tried Liquid Light, although I have all the ingredients for a home brew version. The tiles look great on Instagram. I think the yellow tone works, but perhaps that is not what you had in mind.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th August 2020, 06:26 PM
Friend

Ejlloydart. they look pretty good to me as well. How long ago did you do them and have they stood the test of time in terms of remaining stable i.e. no signs of deterioration? It is difficult to tell now there are pictures on the tiles but they look to be the kind of quarry tiles that people used for flooring and if this is the case then it may be that the natural texture of such tiles means that subbing is not necessary.

A useful thing to know

Mike
Old 9th August 2020, 07:26 PM
Friend

I was Liquid Light's first UK customer back in 1977

Looks like a fixing/washing issue (110% sure). I tried Liquid Light but found I could make a better emulsion myself, however this was a commercial application and I did a lot of research and development.

The problem is the Liquid Light emulsion swells when wet and takes 90 minutes to 120 minutes to wash properly. it's not like RC paper and worse than FB paper.

I'd use a two bath fixer regime. a good rinse then a bath of HCA for 2 or 3 minutes, a 1-2% Sodium Sulphite solution is cheaper and just as efficient, then a good long wash.

Somewhere I have Ceramic tile with a test print and it's not deteriorated since 1977, there's also a print on wood Sealed with lacquer first).

Get in touch by PM if you want I havve over a decade of commercial experience of liquid emulsions and did some trials with Ilford (who wanted to supply emulsion to my company).

Ian
Old 10th August 2020, 11:43 AM
Friend

Hi Ejlloydart, I've just looked at your Instagram account, and the tiles look fine. The only thing about them is that some don't seem to be exposed correctly, with some way too light and some a bit too dark. If you've looking for / are happy with this style, then fine. But through my use of LE, I have had to do test strips with each new negative, as you would when using paper in the darkroom.

As for the colour of the LE, I'm not quite sure. I have a bottle of some old LE, and although not quite as yellow as what you have on the tiles, it is definitely more yellow in tone than the fresher LE I have. But again, if you are happy with the colour, then fine and the various tiles show that there is still good contrast in the LE, which mine hasn't and gives me very soft contrast prints.

And I didn't know about Ian's background in LE, so I'd definitely take up his offer and contact him off forum if you have any more questions.

Terry S

Tags
ceramics, liquid light
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies