Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd August 2011, 09:55 AM
Friend

I see you now have the link to CameraQuest. Don't be afraid to deal with Stephen - he's very good and well regarded. he is also the sponsor/owner of the Rangefinder Forum (RFF) where there is a section specifically devoted to Cosina-Voigtlander cameras and lenses. Lots of information and opinions there!

A key decision now is whether you want a fast lens (say f1.5 max aperture) a medium lens (say f3.5 aperture) or something in between.

If you use a f3.5 with an ISO400 film you will get by OK. Voigtlander still have a collapsible f3.5/50 available but I personally think the collapsible feature is a bit of a gimmick and a nod to pre-M Leica owners.
The f1.0 and f1.5 are starting to get a bit big and heavy to my way of thinking. Also they have an very narrow depth of field when at full aperture.
My pick would be the still-available 2009 Heliar f2/50 (non collapsible) in Nickel finish. It compares in many respects with the classic Leitz Summitar 2/50 of the 1950's era but optically improved. (Some Leica fans won't agree with that heresy!)
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:47 AM
Friend

My fav is the Nikon FM which has served me well over the years even though it has been semi retired. but dont let it know The other a Nikromat FT2 another surperb bit of kit and very under rated.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:31 PM
Friend

I've already got mine - Leica M2 with a 35/1.4 pre-asph summilux. Just brilliant and it goes in a large pocket too.

Charlie
www.Charlie.chan.co.uk
Old 6th August 2011, 02:55 PM
Friend

My first choice of an RF camera w/o batteries: Contax II or Kiev IV.
Second choice, the voigtländer Vitomatic IIb.
With battery only for the light meter: Canonet QL17GIII; Ricoh 500G; Mamiya SD 1.5; Konica Auto S2 among some others.
For the SLR side, no one of the cameras I own requires a battery to shoot.
Cheers
Ernesto
Old 6th August 2011, 04:42 PM
Friend

Thanks Roy,
Excellent site, gives a perfect view of Voigtlander lenses. But prices are pretty 'pebbered'. It leads me on to another track : with an adapter ring I could maybe use an old collapsible Elmar? That would be less expensive, and I remember the Elmar 50 3.5 (1937) my Father had - so sharp, soft and rich in grey tones.
Maybe?
Peter
Old 14th August 2011, 08:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
the camera I have owned the longest and still works as good as when new Is my much loved NIKON F2
I would go with that choice. I also had an FM2n which worked OK without batteries and I now have an F3HP which can also be fired manually. I have really never had an issue over the years with the small hearing aid batteries in cameras except once at high altitude in winter and I overcame that by putting my then camera inside my down jacket

Regards Kenneth
Old 27th August 2011, 06:51 PM
Friend

I'll be the first to go with Minolta. I love my old XG-1 (only battery for light meter) and Rokkor lenses (50 1.2, 24 2.8, 85 1.7 and 135 2.8). It's such a lovely light little camera - it goes with me everywhere.
Old 27th August 2011, 07:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlg View Post
Thanks Roy,
Excellent site, gives a perfect view of Voigtlander lenses. But prices are pretty 'pebbered'. It leads me on to another track : with an adapter ring I could maybe use an old collapsible Elmar? That would be less expensive, and I remember the Elmar 50 3.5 (1937) my Father had - so sharp, soft and rich in grey tones.
Maybe?
Peter
The 50 3.5 Elmar was probably one of the best lenses ever made.

Tags
35mm, camera, choise, mechanical
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies