Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd November 2019, 06:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
Protectcan costs around £20 (I’ve only checked one supplier) so isn’t an insignificant item - how long does it last though (I know length of string comes to mind). Ballpark are we talking one or two cans a year? I appreciate there is a whole plethora of variables but does the average darkroom user buy this every month or once or twice a year?
TIA

It lasts a long time -in my hands about 3 years per can. But if you want to cut the cost any inert gas in a can will do. Winemakers / drinkers use one which you can buy online or from wine making shops . I have used them and they are fine - do the same job and are cheaper.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
The key is how much is needed on the surface of a litre container of Ilfotec HC each time you decant some developer and I have no idea how you work out how many such puffs a Protectan can holds.

My experience is that I have had my can for several years, possibly 10 but I decant my paper developer, film developer and fixer into wine bags so only have need of a tiny amount on top of my paper developer slot on my Nova and a minute puff on top of my 250ml bottle when I pour my film fixer back into its bottle for a few more re-uses before dumping

So my experience will be useless as a guide unless others' have the same kind of set-up

Mike
Thanks Mike, the context makes it a very helpful response - appreciated!
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
For what it's worth, Dave, I bought three cans when it looked as if Tetenal was going to fail (paid rather less than £20 each); and I expect them to see me out.

But I develop only around 40-50 films per year.
That number of films sounds very similar to my expectations Michael. I store chemicals in a glass bottle commensurate with the amount of liquid so there is not too much of a gap at the top. Thanks as always!
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
It lasts a long time -in my hands about 3 years per can. But if you want to cut the cost any inert gas in a can will do. Winemakers / drinkers use one which you can buy online or from wine making shops . I have used them and they are fine - do the same job and are cheaper.

Neil.
I didn’t even realise such things existed Neil! From what I’m reading in this thread and others it’s a worthwhile investment however and quite cost effective in real terms. I shall add it to my next order.

Thanks again!
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
I didn’t even realise such things existed Neil! From what I’m reading in this thread and others it’s a worthwhile investment however and quite cost effective in real terms. I shall add it to my next order.

Thanks again!

I only use it with my film / paper developers and some other alt processes items and it's surprising how long a can of gas can last. Definitely worth doing for peace of mind with your film developer.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd November 2019, 02:51 PM
Friend

Apologies for prolonging the Protectan side-issue on this thread; but here are two quotations from the instructions on a two year old can:

"Within about 5s 250 ml of air are expelled" i.e. replaced by gas

"Content is sufficient to expel 100 litres of air"

Not exactly definitive; but a bit of a guide to use. I find that, as long as my developer bottle is kept upright in between uses (so the gas stays covering the concentrate), I don't need to be too fussy about exactly how long to propel gas into the bottle.
Old 3rd November 2019, 06:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Apologies for prolonging the Protectan side-issue on this thread; but here are two quotations from the instructions on a two year old can:

"Within about 5s 250 ml of air are expelled" i.e. replaced by gas

"Content is sufficient to expel 100 litres of air"

Not exactly definitive; but a bit of a guide to use. I find that, as long as my developer bottle is kept upright in between uses (so the gas stays covering the concentrate), I don't need to be too fussy about exactly how long to propel gas into the bottle.
Presumably Michael, as the gas is heavier than the air you only need sufficient to cover the surface of the liquid as any air above the gas isn’t going to affect the liquid anyway? Out of curiosity (I could wait until my can arrives) is the gas visible to the naked eye?
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:27 PM
Friend

Yes, Dave, that was basically the point of my last comment - you don't need to expel all the air. It's not clear to me, though, whether the gas is completely stable.

No, it's not visible as such; but you can see atmospheric vibration where it's present.
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Yes, Dave, that was basically the point of my last comment - you don't need to expel all the air. It's not clear to me, though, whether the gas is completely stable.

No, it's not visible as such; but you can see atmospheric vibration where it's present.
Thanks as always Michael!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies