Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th April 2010, 04:57 PM
Friend

I'm photographing my brother's wedding in September. T90s, and Bronicas. He likes, I likes, Fuji likes. I drop the films off at the lab, 'sorted'. I'm looking for some advice on what to charge......
Old 9th April 2010, 05:26 PM
Friend

Just last weekend photographed a wedding where the couple started out wanting B+W only - and from film. Used a couple of OM2's one with Foma 100 and one with HP5. 35mm is great for candid stuff, and 100 film is OK for decent quality. Sadly I talked them into also having some colour prints (digital) and having 3 cameras on the go is pretty challenging!
There is a small market for B+W, digital can do this no probs, but I find showing the couple a few nice fibre prints swings it for film. As for the numbers game, it is without a doubt easy to rattle off with a dslr, but also for film. Knowing gear and film makes for good exposures that make negs that are very quickly printed. For the wedding I did I took approx 100 frames, at least 20 will be duff shots, and a day in the darkroom is enough to print the 80 to 10x8. I do love film, but for me now at such do's colour sadly now = digital (mixed iso's are I find a must), and B+W = film.
Some wedding 'albums' are a bit flashy these days, photo books etc, and I like them, and that seems to be where the market is being driven. Its all digital, the complete workflow, and using digital dosnt mean all photographers use a machine gun approach to taking the snaps, I think if you use film and come from a film background you take more care with your approach, and possibly fire fewer shots than someone raised on pixels.
The future though is having the ability to take stills from short video clips.
I'd give the film approach a go. On reading this thread I dug out a few duff wedding pics from years ago, made on 2 1/4 VPS film, and the prints are great, really tonal, no burned whites and no chalky darks and no photoshop.
Old 9th April 2010, 05:53 PM
Friend

I got it sussed. When you meet your potential clients to show them your portfolio and explain why you don't use digital, just wear one of these. They won't want to be post processed in Photoshop.

http://www.cafepress.com/wtdugly.226719399
Old 10th April 2010, 05:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by percepts View Post
I got it sussed. When you meet your potential clients to show them your portfolio and explain why you don't use digital, just wear one of these. They won't want to be post processed in Photoshop.

http://www.cafepress.com/wtdugly.226719399
I just sprayed coffee all over my screen when I saw that. Priceless!
Old 10th April 2010, 07:22 AM
Friend

Great advert for digi,describes what it perfectly, long live film,Richard
Old 10th April 2010, 02:49 PM
Friend

Sadly for the wedding photographer these days, it's not what you would like to do, but what the client wants. They want online proofing from a secure website, also they like to see the pictures instantly on a laptop at the reception, as well as AV presentations on DVD. Some of it can be done if you are using film, but it will involve a lot of time consuming scanning. Today you really need a digital workflow for weddings.
I used to do a lot as a semi-pro for a number of years, using 35mm and MF film in both col and b&w. I refused the move across to digital, so I quietly gave up about 3 years ago. I could not see how to recoup and effectively cost the time spent in front of a screen.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 10th April 2010, 02:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
Sadly for the wedding photographer these days, it's not what you would like to do, but what the client wants. They want online proofing from a secure website, also they like to see the pictures instantly on a laptop at the reception, as well as AV presentations on DVD. Some of it can be done if you are using film, but it will involve a lot of time consuming scanning. Today you really need a digital workflow for weddings.
I used to do a lot as a semi-pro for a number of years, using 35mm and MF film in both col and b&w. I refused the move across to digital, so I quietly gave up about 3 years ago. I could not see how to recoup and effectively cost the time spent in front of a screen.
That is the simple answer David, if the client wants digital then they go elsewhere.
Old 24th June 2010, 01:16 PM
Friend

I shot weddings for a while to supplement income in the early 80's but didn't enjoy it at all. However, I still do the odd wedding shoot for friends / relatives every now and then.

The last one I did, I suggested that I use film. I might as well have suggested setting the bride's dress on fire while she was in it given the reaction I got.

Sadly, we are approaching a watershed where customers have no clue what film is or how good it is as they have never experienced it - and the "accepted wisdom" to the uninitiated is that digital is the only (and best) option.

It's a bit like CDs insofar as we seem hell-bent on "dumbing-down" and accepting inferior quality for the sake of convenience. My wife, for example, has never owned or played a vinyl record. The child of one of our friends thinks CDs are old-hat and only ever downloads MP3s.

My advice (FWIW) to anyone wanting to use film for weddings is to do some staged studio wedding shots (in film) and show them to the prospective customers. Ultimately, they will choose. All we can do is try to educate / persuade those whose minds aren't shut to the possibility.
Old 24th June 2010, 02:21 PM
Friend

Could be that if a large price premium was quoted for the use of film sales of it might increase.
Old 25th June 2010, 08:53 AM
Friend

Thanks everyone for all your advice and feedback on this topic. It would seem that it's just not feasible - at least not in the U.K. It may be different in other countries where people seem to have a much better appreciation of quality pictures in general. From what I've seen on the net, wedding photography seems much more important to couples in the states than it does to couples here.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies