Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd March 2022, 02:43 PM
Friend

More about Kodak - Fuji film similarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pZR3bU4fQ

"The Naked Photographer" has done some testing.

It is a bit like a, Who Dunnit and Why.

Cheers.
Old 3rd March 2022, 04:36 PM
Friend

Yes Nat and for someone who wears Kodak Tee shirts his comments about the "astonishing" similarities caused him to express phrases that seemed to indicate a dim view of what I assumed to his assumption of Kodak's seeming duplicity in labelling the film as Kodak

It's a much murkier world out there in the film market than it used to be

Mike
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:02 PM
Friend

PS my comments on his comments were based on his first 35 secs video. He now seems to see sense in a 2 parties's co-operation in response to the problems caused by Covid 19

It's still a puzzle to me why Kodak would agree to co-operate as all it's doing is diverting its own production and presumably sales to another company

It might make sense if Kodak believes that it can sell more film this way i.e. there are Fuji users who'd rather not buy colour film at all if they cannot get Fuji film. However this suggests that Kodak has made/can make more Kodak Gold 200 than the market will buy and there seems no signs that that is the case. If it was then presumably colour film prices would not have risen as they have, doesn't it?

Still very puzzled about the business case for this co-operation

Mike
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:07 PM
Friend

I went to buy a battery for my Bessa this morning, and got talking to my local Pro photographer. He just can't get colour film for his little sales counter. He reckons he has gone from selling a couple of rolls every other week to shifting everything he can get his hands on.
All younger users, and all complete novices with no idea how to load their new cameras.
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
shifting everything he can get his hands on.
All younger users, and all complete novices with no idea how to load their new cameras.
Let's hope that their frustrations with their new cameras do not dampen their enthusiasm for film

Mike
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:21 PM
Friend

Default The Kodak Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
PS my comments on his comments were based on his first 35 secs video. He now seems to see sense in a 2 parties's co-operation in response to the problems caused by Covid 19

It's still a puzzle to me why Kodak would agree to co-operate as all it's doing is diverting its own production and presumably sales to another company

It might make sense if Kodak believes that it can sell more film this way i.e. there are Fuji users who'd rather not buy colour film at all if they cannot get Fuji film. However this suggests that Kodak has made/can make more Kodak Gold 200 than the market will buy and there seems no signs that that is the case. If it was then presumably colour film prices would not have risen as they have, doesn't it?

Still very puzzled about the business case for this co-operation

Mike
The Kodak Setup..... This has been a bit of a mystery to me but after recently talking recently to someone who used to work for them at Hemel Hempstead, I think I have got a bit of a handle on what they are about. (but not a complete picture)

When Kodak had, shall I say a rough patch a few years ago and the were on the brink of dropping over the edge, The Hemel Hempstead lot bought out part of the empire what I believe is now called 'Alaris'. Alaris so I was told took over responsibility for the manufacture of film. They, meaning Alaris is/was funded by the pensions management of the old company. What their business ethics are I have no idea, nor where the film is made but it does seem to be leveling out with more 35mm film becoming available. I have just bought a brick (10 Cassettes) of their basic 200ISO colour film. It cost a good bit more than the last lot I bought.

As for FUJI their 35mm colour film is as rare as hens teeth or any other analogy you care to think of. Some dealers (AG or Morco or Firstcall have not had any or very little for months and months, They (FUJI) have even cut out their 400IS0 120 rolls. I have some 35mm C200 which I found a few months ago but I cannot help but think all they want is to get out of the analogue race and be completely digital.

The film shortage from both companies is not just confined to UK, it seems to be more or less world wide.

Now colour printing paper, Kodak in rolls which I much prefer over FUJI is virtually unobtanium! The FUJI equivalent is almost as bad, but cut sheets and some roll sizes are available.

C41 developer seems to be fairly easy to find with regards to supply, but my prefered RA4 developer made by Kodak (in China) is hard to come by. When I found some last week I snapped it up without any further thought

Last edited by John King; 3rd March 2022 at 11:26 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies