Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Loading Jobo 2509N Reels
From our special correspondent.
Bob
23rd September 2009
I will just make some notes about loading the Jobo 2509(N) reels for LF film. I will not cover anything else about using these reels as it is all otherwise pretty straightforward. I do not use the special loader or other aids. It is undoubtedly a bit of a fiddle at first but you soon get the...
By kjelgaard on 17th August 2011, 03:55 PM

Looks like I might be buying a CPE-2 soon and will be consulting your guide which looks very helpful, thank you for putting it together.

I can't find the 2509N reels anywhere. I've looked all over. I will probably need to settle for the 2509 without the clips. Should I look harder or will I get on okay without them?
By Bob on 19th August 2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjelgaard View Post
Looks like I might be buying a CPE-2 soon and will be consulting your guide which looks very helpful, thank you for putting it together.

I can't find the 2509N reels anywhere. I've looked all over. I will probably need to settle for the 2509 without the clips. Should I look harder or will I get on okay without them?
I've not bought any 2509N for a few years but I got mine from ebay. Some people report only loading the inner two slots of the clip-less versions on each side for even processing but I suspect it's a case of suck it and see...

Good luck!
By Ed Moss on 19th August 2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjelgaard View Post

http://www.novadarkroom.com/product/...nk_System.html
By Rob Hale on 22nd August 2013, 12:13 AM
Default Semi Stand question

Hi Bob,

Just found this article on loading Jobo 4x5 reels; nicely done.

I note that you do some semi stand developing with this reel and drum.

I am in the processes of exploring this semi stand development and will be using this drum and reel combination.

Couple of questions, if I may.
I am thinking that to get even development I will be restricted to loading up to 2 sheets in the outside slots so that there is adequate chemistry to migrate to the emulsion, do you load more than 2 sheets ?
How long is your development time ?
What time do you use between inversions ?

Cheers
Rob
By mpirie on 22nd August 2013, 06:05 AM

I've been using 2509n reels for years loading them the same way as Bob mentions.

I've never had any problems with uneven development but make sure i use the 2 plastic dividers which help break up the flow over the emulsion.

I more often than not process 6 sheets at a time.

Mike
By Rob Hale on 22nd August 2013, 06:23 AM
Default Semi Stand questions

Hi Mike,

My question to Bob is related to Semi Stand developing not rotary developing.

When rotary developing with up 6 sheets and with the side plates I have had no problems, it is a good system.

Cheers

Rob
By Bob on 22nd August 2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hale View Post
Hi Bob,

Just found this article on loading Jobo 4x5 reels; nicely done.

I note that you do some semi stand developing with this reel and drum.

I am in the processes of exploring this semi stand development and will be using this drum and reel combination.

Couple of questions, if I may.
I am thinking that to get even development I will be restricted to loading up to 2 sheets in the outside slots so that there is adequate chemistry to migrate to the emulsion, do you load more than 2 sheets ?
How long is your development time ?
What time do you use between inversions ?

Cheers
Rob
Hi Rob.

With Rodinal clone (eg Adonal) 1:100 total time = 1 hr. 10 secs inversion at the start to get things started, 5 gentle inversions at 30 mins.

I've always loaded six sheets as there is enough stock developer for this amount of film but if you are not using a Rodinal clone then check how much stock you need per roll of film (= same as four 5x4 sheets).

Good luck, Bob.
By Rob Hale on 22nd August 2013, 11:03 PM
Default Semi Stand developing

Hi Bob,

Thanks. Exactly what I need to know.

I will be using Rodinal original which I use at 3.5 mls per sheet and about 1350 to 1500 mls water for a drum fill.

I am intrigued that you use a much lower rate of mix, presumably "Adonal" is a lot more concentrated than the original Rodinal ! ! Perhaps I should consider a lighter mix, I will test both.

Cheers

Rob
By Bob on 24th August 2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hale View Post
Hi Bob,

Thanks. Exactly what I need to know.

I will be using Rodinal original which I use at 3.5 mls per sheet and about 1350 to 1500 mls water for a drum fill.

I am intrigued that you use a much lower rate of mix, presumably "Adonal" is a lot more concentrated than the original Rodinal ! ! Perhaps I should consider a lighter mix, I will test both.

Cheers

Rob
Rodinal (and presumably Adonal) spec is for 10ml concentrate per film and as the tank holds just over 1.4 litres, there is some 14ml of concentrate at 1:100. This is theoretically pushing it a bit for 6 sheets but manufacturers always err on the safe side.

I have read that 4ml per film (or 4 x 5"x4") is all that's really required, but that's just what I've read - never tried it at 1:200...

Good luck, Bob.
By Rob Hale on 24th August 2013, 11:35 PM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your numbers. I will try out various combination soon but it won't be this weekend as it's tipping it down here.

Cheers

Rob
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search