Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th October 2011, 05:15 PM
Friend

Sounds good to me. I'd better sort out a negative!

Rob
Old 5th October 2011, 08:46 PM
Friend

A job well done Steve!

Point 2, by not pairing gets around the problem of members who can't or don't wish to participate each quarter.

Point 11, Although it's a good idea, purely using the print exchange rounds gallery as a guide, I have my doubts whether this will work in practice.
I just don't believe that the darkroom workers on this site feel it's so terribly important. Eventually, all participants will get to sample each others work in the flesh, so to speak.
And it would be a shame if this were to be an obstacle to participation. So my view would be, not to make this an obligatory aspect.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 7th October 2011, 03:00 PM
Friend

Your proposed rules read well, I do like the idea of the side by side posting of the finished prints which should spark some general discussion.
Old 7th October 2011, 05:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Your proposed rules read well, I do like the idea of the side by side posting of the finished prints which should spark some general discussion.
I agree. It lets the rest of the forum in on the circle so they can see what's been going on and should, I believe, be a requirement of participation. Steve has kindly offered to do the preparation for those who can't so it shouldn't be an obstacle.
Old 8th October 2011, 12:25 PM
Friend

Looks like we're all set, I'll leave it another week to see if any more members are interested then send out the details for the first round participants.

Steve
Old 8th October 2011, 05:40 PM
Friend

I just joined this forum and stumbled upon this thread (wrote a mini-bio in the introduction area).
It's a great idea. I sometimes give this same project to my senior photo students and they are just blown away by how many ways a negative can be interpreted.
I would like to participate in this negative exchange if possible. I'm in Canada. Would that be a problem? I've been involved in print exchanges over at the largeformatphotography forum.
I print all b/w formats up to 8x10.

Andrew O'Neill
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:09 PM
Friend

Hi all,

I've only recently joined this forum and would love to put my name down to be included in this project please.

I presume that the first round has now already been started / completed?

Having just read through ALL of the posts on this thread, I would personally like to see BOTH prints, from both sides of the pairing, side by side.

Could I therefore suggest that when the neg is sent, the takers print is also sent along at the same time in an envelope, which is then put within a larger one still, along with the negative, with the agreement that the new printer will NOT open the envelope with the takers print in, until they have printed their version? That way both sides will see both prints side by side, for only seeing the takers version on the monitor is definitely not the same, as many have mentioned. It would also save on the cost of sending two envelopes at different times.

Terry
Old 21st October 2019, 05:56 PM
Friend

Default what happened?

Hi I have just been reading through this thread and looking at all the good work that has been done. It is a shame that it has died.

Is there any interest in getting this going again. just a thought

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st October 2019, 09:36 PM
Friend

Hi Mitch.
I've been in a couple of negative exchanges, and have been mulling over how ressurect them.
I have noticed the print exchanges seem to be attracting fewer participants, and fewer of those prints are going into the gallery. I suspect there might be just a handfull of users willing to go the extra mile for a neg exchange.
However, if you could get the interest:

Each person would send a negative, and sealed copy of their own print from it: that way the recipient has somehing to compare and contrast after printing their own version.

Possible hiccups:
1. Matching formats. You can't pair somone who only shoots 5x4 with someone who can only print 35mm. To get the ball rolling we might instigate a '6x6 ony' or '35mm only' neg exchange and test the water.
2. Warn everyone that they must only submit negatives they are willing to lose. I have twice sent negs which never came home, nor did I recieve a negative in the swap. I was ok with it, but it is a risk.
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Hi Mitch.
I've been in a couple of negative exchanges, and have been mulling over how ressurect them.
I have noticed the print exchanges seem to be attracting fewer participants, and fewer of those prints are going into the gallery. I suspect there might be just a handfull of users willing to go the extra mile for a neg exchange.
However, if you could get the interest:

Each person would send a negative, and sealed copy of their own print from it: that way the recipient has somehing to compare and contrast after printing their own version.

Possible hiccups:
1. Matching formats. You can't pair somone who only shoots 5x4 with someone who can only print 35mm. To get the ball rolling we might instigate a '6x6 ony' or '35mm only' neg exchange and test the water.
2. Warn everyone that they must only submit negatives they are willing to lose. I have twice sent negs which never came home, nor did I recieve a negative in the swap. I was ok with it, but it is a risk.
I have read back through the thread there was a lot of willingness in the beginning to take part. but a lot of those people have secede to use the forum.

It can be difficult to keep things going over a longer period without the dedication and enthusiasm of core users.

You make a number of good points I think members express at the beginning.

I think if there is a ground swell then a new thread should be started using this as references.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies