Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th July 2022, 07:26 AM
Friend

It may not be a simple answer such as you have suggested - a loose wire. The eyes play tricks on you (quite normal) but looking at a test strip and a full sized print the eye adjusts for the greys (I presume it is B&W) and your test strip looks correct but as you described the full size print is slightly different.

I have noticed this too with colour as well as B&W, but when placing the dried test strip over a similar area as the test was made on the full sized print there is a difference. With colour there is the added difference of colour balance to make it more difficult.

However think of the eye as a camera TTL meter that only takes an average reading. that will almost certainly distort the impression it gives what is the correct exposure all depending on the background - too light and it will make the test appear darker and to dark it will be the other way.. Now think of the finished full sized print being viewed by the same type of 'meter' and you get an all over more accurate impression if it is right or not.

With colour I noticed this years ago and keep a well exposed, correctly colour balanced print in the dark room on which I place the test strip where I can judge both the exposure and balance at the same time.

I have not tried it with B&W but there is no reason why it will not work. All you need is a good quality print with a full range of tones (or colours) and see what you get.

With colour, I occasionally have some difficulty with cyan casts, and I know my colour vision is 100% - it had to be for my job. This way it allows me to notice cyan straight away.
Old 5th July 2022, 09:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I'm presuming that the following happened when I did the final focus check, but some how the lens had opened up by about half an f-stop! It really was a 'Eureka!' moment and I can only presume that somehow, my head brushed against the filter holder, which is screwed tight against the lens, which made it turn just a little bit, but enough to change the aperture by about the half f-stop, which in turn increased the exposure.

I now add checking the aperture ring at the last moment to my list of things to do when making a print.

Terry S
I find the RH designs safelight torch indispensable for (re-)checking both aperture and filter dial settings. The illuminated aperture ring on some enlarging lenses are only helpful when the enlarger lamp is on and with no paper in the easel or with the red filter swung into position.

In addition, a good enlarging lens with very positive click-stops and 'no play' in the aperture ring adjustment, is a godsend and worth every penny! Many enlarger lenses are worthless in that regard.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies