Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th June 2021, 09:51 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Default History of Ilford

I was forwarded a link to this article/blog about the history of Ilford put out by Analogue Wonderland by the founder of the N.Wales Monochrome Group. It is an interesting read and I am sure others may have already seen it:

https://analoguewonderland.co.uk/blo...aWwuY29tIn0%3D

Mike
Old 20th June 2021, 02:09 PM
Friend

Thanks Mike,
I did not know anything but the recent history of Ilford and the article is very well written.
Frank
Old 20th June 2021, 02:23 PM
Friend

It was interesting to read and then look into the Ilford Witness. Shame it didn't catch on.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th June 2021, 07:17 PM
Friend

If you haven't already, definitely follow up on the author's recommended link at the end of the article to Photo Memorabilia. Maurice Fischer has amassed an extraordinary amount of information and presented it beautifully. Well researched and well written, with plenty of - as the site name suggests - photo memorabilia!

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/

It's my favourite kind of rabbit hole and especially satisfying for someone who has film, paper and advertisements from a diverse range of decades herself and wanted to know their history as well as practical, technical information about the materials.
Old 24th June 2021, 07:42 PM
Friend

Yes both articles are good reads. Photomemorabilia is especially good for the chronology of lford products

Mike
Old 26th June 2021, 07:59 AM
Friend

Default Ilford

After so many changes of ownership it is still surprising that the name still exists. At least it seems that the business vulture 'Venture Capital' companies didn't (so far) get their greedy hands on it.

In 1969 when I was in the army I had a season on our Corps Motorcycle Display Team and one of the displays we put on was for the staff of Ilford at their smallish establishment actually at Ilford in Essex. This it seems was an annual event by the company to show their appreciation to the staff.

I remember it was a stinking hot summers day, as it had been for weeks and the ground we displayed on, was closely cropped, parched grass with the ground underneath like concrete. The bikes were skidding all over the place and the team came away with one rider having a dislocated shoulder and another a broken ankle.
Old 26th June 2021, 09:25 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
After so many changes of ownership it is still surprising that the name still exists. At least it seems that the business vulture 'Venture Capital' companies didn't (so far) get their greedy hands on it.
According to the Photomemorabilia site Ilford was bought in 2015 by Pemberstone Ventures. They reduced the footprint of the site and there was a plan to build 375 houses on the reclaimed land. There was discussion of the Pemberstone take over on this forum at the time.

See http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ht=Pemberstone
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies