Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th October 2021, 09:39 PM
Friend

Default Kiev 60 TTL

I have just been given one these huge beasts and put my first roll through it. Not bad for old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Base Flowers2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	574.4 KB
ID:	4261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flower 3.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	4262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamp2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	693.7 KB
ID:	4263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sundial2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	4264  
Old 30th October 2021, 10:03 PM
Friend

The results look great!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 31st October 2021, 08:21 AM
Friend

Default Kiev TTL

As these cameras share a similar film advance and shutter cocking mechanism as the old East German Pentacon factory, they have a habit of getting out of sync and the film not advancing exactly a full frame. The shutter can also be temperamental so the wind on must be exactly as a handbook says.

Apart from that the lenses are good and you also have the advantage of being able to use some of the 'not very expensive' Zeiss lenses designed for the Praktica 6/ Pentacon cameras.

I found when they were working well for a medium format camera they were like a 35mm reflex on steroids.

If you don't have a handbook look at OrphanCameras.com / Butkus.us It isn't a working link you will have to type in the name etc but there is a a manual for your camera with an English translation. It is under the section for Russian cameras.

Last edited by John King; 31st October 2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 31st October 2021, 09:53 AM
Friend

Hi John, I also own a good working Pentacon 6 with some of the best lenses, I have the 30mm Zodiak, the 180mm Jenna, as well as the biometer 80mm.

So these will be good to use on the Kiev 60, I have read a lot on these camera's and most important is film loading keeping the film tight and do not let the winding crank fly back. Also do not move the shutter setting dial unless the shutter is cocked.

This is why I like these old manual camera's they make you stop and think about what you are doing.
Old 31st October 2021, 10:14 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flack View Post

This is why I like these old manual camera's they make you stop and think about what you are doing.
This is why I like these old manual camera's they make you stop and think about what you are doing WRONG -in my case One reason I like them is the film is transported in the same way as a 35mm, that is across the camera back instead of up and down like a Rollie or Bronica. It makes for far easier composition when it come to the enlarging stage
Old 1st November 2021, 05:30 AM
Friend

> share a similar film advance and shutter cocking mechanism as the old East German Pentacon factory,

I owned A kiewv 60 fr more than 10 years. I never had problems with it.

The film advance is very different. Pentacon uses a friction wheel for measuring the film advance. Kiev uses the amount of rotation and is sensitive against thicker film or backing paper. If your negatives overlap you may simply put a piece of cardboard from the box in the left spool.
Old 1st November 2021, 08:23 AM
Friend

Default Pentacon/Kiev cameras.

I think the ones we had over here were what we call 'Friday Afternoon' cameras where the lack of quality suggested what the workers were thinking was what they were going to do over the weekend so their minds were not on the job.

I owned 2 Prakitsix's way back in the 1990's and both gave me problems with the wind on mechanism and overlapping frames. I mean serious overlapping where a usable negative was more of 645 proportions
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies