Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2014, 09:03 PM
Friend

Default Multigrade IV Fibre Paper - special offers

Ilford (Harman) have currently got some special offers on Ilford Multigrade IV Fibre Paper in they direct from factory sale.

http://www.harmanexpress.com/prod/29...V-FB-Fiber.htm

Selected sizes only but do have the regular 10"x8" listed around £20 cheaper than most suppliers. NOT every size or surface is available (a small selection) but might be of interest to FADU darkroom FB users.

I've ordered from Harman before and rec'd good service. Free delivery for orders over £50 with the UK.

Thought I share this note, just in case it helps anyone!
Old 29th November 2014, 10:02 PM
Friend

Larry, thank you for the link.
Just been to check their products. As an occasional stereo shooter I noted the Holga 3D camera for 20 quid. Unfortunately it's the pinhole version, so not for me.
Digging deeper,

A roll of 120 HP5 direct from Ilford, £4.63
A roll of 120 HP5 from Silverprint (including profit as middleman) £3.98
A box of 5x4 HP5 from Silverprint £38.32
Same box of 5x4 HP5 direct from Ilford, no middleman, wait for it . . .

(Drum Roll)

£47.52. That's Forty Seven Pounds and Fifty Two pence. Nearly 2 quid a sheet. For 5x4, not 10x8, for the avoidance of doubt.
I love Ilford materials, and wish them well. But to charge substantially more to serve me direct is simply ridiculous. It's a business practice known as "taking the piss".
Do they want customers??
I know Ilford scorn Foma's quality control, but with Fomapan 100 5x4 at £24 for FIFTY sheets it's a quarter of the price. I could shoot two frames on every subject for luck and still save half.

Come on Harman, Get A Grip as we say up here.
Old 29th November 2014, 10:48 PM
Friend

Hi there!

I do agree that buying direct from Harman for standard product lines is actually more expensive than direct from dealers, but I suppose their purpose was to have a source of supply should you dealer not have things in stock.

I did manage about 2 or 3 years ago to get some Delta 400 in 120 where the film backing paper had some missing words faint printing directly from them for £1.50 a roll. instead of £3+ normally. Great deal as the film was perfect.

There specials can sometimes be great value but their normal stock products are more costly in comparison !!

Still good if you want some 10x8 FB paper.
100 sheets £60.99 at Harman (Specials)
100 sheets £80.25 at Silverprint

Like you, I've started using Foma for film and I'm really happy. It's my new film for medium format, Sorry Ilford, your just too expensive now.

Foma 100 at Silverprint £2.59
Ilford FP4+ at Harman £4.69

Last edited by Larry; 29th November 2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 30th November 2014, 12:07 AM
Friend

Hi Larry. I hope you're having a good weekend.

Just in case Simon Galley catches this on his radar (between sipping champagne from the slippers of super-models and snorting caviar) Ilford make some stuff which I think is without equal.

PanF. Most of my favourite and most successful photographs of the last 20 years are on this stuff. When the apocalypse comes, my freezer will have hundreds of rolls of 120 PanF safely stashed . . .

HP5. Put this through PMK Pyro. Luscious. Sweet tonality. I'm not even interested in trying any other 400 speed film.

Delta 3200. Really?? This fast, this good?? Hand-holdable in candle light in a Mamiya TLR?? Surely, the work of Satan?

Ilford MG FB warmtone. I could get by with this as my only paper.

The point is, Ilford are cutting out a link, saving money, and upping the price. There is just simply no way to justify that.

Get A Grip, Harman!!

p.s. Fomapan 100 is beautiful. I prefer it to FP4, which I don't use in any format. If PanF came in 5x4 I could sell some of my other cameras. Of course, that can't happen.

Last edited by skellum; 30th November 2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 30th November 2014, 12:09 AM
Friend

Thanks for pointing that out, Larry. I've just ordered 100 10x8s complete with free posting as a Christmas present to myself.
Old 30th November 2014, 12:13 AM
Friend

Harman Express, in my opinion has decided not to compete against its best customers, the retailers. It was the same when it was Harman D2D( R.I.P.)Larry's makes the same point, I think.

The only thing Harman Express has going for it is the free postage at orders over £50 whereas most retailers want a much bigger order for free postage, usually £100 or more. It might be that over £50 Harman Express comes our best but I bet it is as close as makes no difference

These days unless your order is in the free postage range it is often postage charges that makes the difference and while you can pick out the cheapest single order with a bit of time and effort this is negated if you cherry pick your needs for different suppliers and add the postage from each

On balance you need to add up the same shopping list from each retailer and add the postage and then decide.

However I don't think you can buy from say 3 different retailers and pay each of those retailers' postage and still be cheaper than buying from one

If all 3 retailers were on your high street and everyone else's high street it might alter their pricing but they aren't and they and you know it.

Mike
Old 30th November 2014, 12:34 AM
Friend

Hi Mike. I completely understand your point.
For me, a typical order might be 20 or 30 rolls mixed PanF and HP5, and a box or two of paper. Maybe MG FB WT for master prints, and some MG RC for contacts. I seldom need colour, and find it pretty easy to round up to over £100 on every order.
So, for me, post is rarely an issue. I accept some people might go for a 'little-and-often' strategy.
If, in fact, Ilford are seeking to avoid hurting their retail base, what is the point of this enterprise? Even customers buying over-priced stock from Harman Direct are still depriving retailers of trade. Just who wins from this?
Old 30th November 2014, 03:22 PM
Friend

On the ffordes web site

A roll of 120 HP5 £3.76
X10 HP5 £36.50
A box of 25 5x4 HP5 £34.00
A box of 25 5x4 FP4 £34.00

Bob Smith
Old 3rd December 2014, 07:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post

The point is, Ilford are cutting out a link, saving money, and upping the price. There is just simply no way to justify that.

I can understand your theory - but I have to disagree here.

You are assuming there is no cost to Harman in running a retail side of their business. I've been in business myself for many years and you see this a lot - infact, you might be surprised to find the costs to Harman are quite significant simply because retailing is not their core business.

Also, I believe the reason Harman set up that express website is because they wanted to make sure there was always a reliable source of their products as at the time their main high street presence was failing (Jessops) (and may still be failing depending on who you speak to...) It wasn't set up to provide a cut price offer. Besides, if they did this, they would very quickly be left with no dealers and this would then would harm their overall distribution.
Old 3rd December 2014, 08:37 PM
Friend

Hi singlemalt (good username!). I don't think I'll say much more on this- only Ilford really know their business plan, and it is their business.
As I understand it-
90% of Ilford's business is overseas. That means they profit they make on exports keeps the company alive.
One box HP5 5x4 in the USA retails for the equivalent of £21. That includes international shipping and distribution. Profit to Ilford. Profit to the retailer. Perhaps profit to a wholesaler?
To me, that means there a good enough mark up on a box at £21 to keep Ilford afloat and support an intercontinental supply chain.

Direct sale, £47.

British Business.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies