Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th June 2015, 02:07 PM
Friend

Default XP2 Super 120 half price on Firstcall site

I was on Firstcall's site today looking for a few things (and trying to scrape together enough things to order to negate the £7.99 delivery charge) and I clocked they are selling XP2 Super for £2.49 a roll, 120 size:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...0-exp-mar-2015

Thought this might be of interest to shooters of chromogenic films, especially if live near the shop or are putting a big order in anyway. I don't usually shoot it but I'll stick a few rolls on my order.

Anyone know if its like the Kodak BW400CN in that it needs to be "over" exposed at ISO200 instead of 400 to avoid nasty grainy looking shadows?
Old 15th June 2015, 03:13 PM
Friend

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...xp2-super.html
The film is cheap because it has expiry date of march 2015 (should be fine).
Old 15th June 2015, 04:38 PM
Friend

If you have C41 processing facilities or use a commercial mini-lab this is a bargain as it will have been stored correctly and is only 2 months out of date. When film bargains come up it's a pity that the high postage works against you unless you are about to make a biggish order.

Mike
Old 15th June 2015, 05:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...xp2-super.html
The film is cheap because it has expiry date of march 2015 (should be fine).

I think the vast majority of the film I've shot, ever, has been out of date! Like you say, should be fine. Two months is virtually brand new by my standards.
Old 15th June 2015, 06:52 PM
Friend

MY XP2 Super 120 was bought new, dated 2007 and I still have a lot left in fridge -- I rate the 2007 film at 250 ASA and process it myself and it comes out well PROVIDED I do NOT 'PRE-SOAK' or I get Reticulation on the film backing layer.
Old 15th June 2015, 09:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
MY XP2 Super 120 was bought new, dated 2007 and I still have a lot left in fridge -- I rate the 2007 film at 250 ASA and process it myself and it comes out well PROVIDED I do NOT 'PRE-SOAK' or I get Reticulation on the film backing layer.
That's an interesting point, Pete. I take it that your former pre-soak was at the same temp as the rest of the process? If it was then it is a little worrying given that a pre-soak for colour C41 seems to be a prerequisite and were I to attempt XP2+ processing I'd probably have done a pre-soak on the basis that XP2+ is a colour film without colour

I had always thought that reticulation was the result of not ensuring that all parts of the process was done at plus or minus 1 degree C. Avoid a bigger span of temperature than this and you avoid the likelihood of reticulation or so I thought.

I must have a look at what Ilford says about XP2+ processing

Mike
Old 16th June 2015, 11:39 AM
Friend

I used some 3 years out of date Pan F a couple of weeks back - had been kept fridged . . absolutely fine.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies