Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st July 2021, 06:42 PM
Friend

Very good news indeed, Richard.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 1st July 2021, 09:02 PM
Friend

Yes, good news there Richard.

Take it easy and you'll be back to your usual self soon enough.

All the best to both you and your wife.

Terry S
Old 2nd July 2021, 05:34 AM
Friend

Glad to hear you're recovering well!
Old 2nd July 2021, 02:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
Posted mine yesterday, at last.
And the envelope has just been received Graeme.

Following an apparent trend, Graeme has sent to me a lovely hand written letter, which is much more readable than my hand writing, so thanks for that Graeme, but I don't see myself joining in with this...

He has also sent to me two interesting prints of a landscape that looks interesting to explore, for those of us still able. The two prints are from the same negative, but on one he has tried darkening the sky, which in turn, for whatever reason produces an obvious stain on the print. I too had this in the past Graeme, and it turned out to be a limescale deposit on the shiny side of the negative, which as with you, only became obvious when I tried darkening an area. Breathing on it and then a gentle wipe, removed it in my case and a good print was made.

And one other small thing, if I may point out, which is stopping the print from being even better, is that there seems to be a very light grey veil over the whole print, with it being most noticeable in the borders, which should be pure white, but are near an 18% grey card. Interestingly it is not so obvious on the print with the stain in the sky. It would well be worth checking your safe-light in the first instance.

So, thanks for the prints and I hope you get these two small issues sorted out.

Terry S
Old 3rd July 2021, 01:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And the envelope has just been received Graeme.

Following an apparent trend, Graeme has sent to me a lovely hand written letter, which is much more readable than my hand writing, so thanks for that Graeme, but I don't see myself joining in with this...

He has also sent to me two interesting prints of a landscape that looks interesting to explore, for those of us still able. The two prints are from the same negative, but on one he has tried darkening the sky, which in turn, for whatever reason produces an obvious stain on the print. I too had this in the past Graeme, and it turned out to be a limescale deposit on the shiny side of the negative, which as with you, only became obvious when I tried darkening an area. Breathing on it and then a gentle wipe, removed it in my case and a good print was made.

And one other small thing, if I may point out, which is stopping the print from being even better, is that there seems to be a very light grey veil over the whole print, with it being most noticeable in the borders, which should be pure white, but are near an 18% grey card. Interestingly it is not so obvious on the print with the stain in the sky. It would well be worth checking your safe-light in the first instance.

So, thanks for the prints and I hope you get these two small issues sorted out.

Terry S
Thanks Terry - great tip about stain. I've had a look at the other prints I made from the neg, I made 6 in all, you're right the borders are tell-tale grey. I didn't notice when I sent them off in a hurry. I'm not sure if it's a darkroom leak or the fact they were the last sheets in the box, over a year old. Either way I'll send you a new print when I'm able to re-do them - best wises - Graeme.

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Old 4th July 2021, 12:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
...you're right the borders are tell-tale grey. I didn't notice when I sent them off in a hurry. I'm not sure if it's a darkroom leak or the fact they were the last sheets in the box, over a year old. Either way I'll send you a new print when I'm able to re-do them - best wises - Graeme.
I would turn all the lights off in your darkroom and let your eyes adjust first. After about 5 minutes or so, any light leaks should become apparent.

If all okay, I'd then look at the safe-light and do a paper test - with paper from a different box, just to be safe.

After just a year, unless the paper has been stored REALLY badly, the last sheets in the box should be as good as the first.

And many thanks for the offer of a fresh print. It will be both good and interesting to compare the ones already sent with a newer one.

Terry S
Old 4th July 2021, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Mine finally on the way - apologies again to the recipient for the delay!
Old 4th July 2021, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear you are recovering well Richard - good to know your shutter finger is still working OK
Old 5th July 2021, 11:12 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Caught the 3 o'clock post today.
Hi Marty your photograph has arrived safe and well.

It is of a world war one look out tower on the isle of Bressay Shetland.
The picture has a presents to it that I really like your symmetrical composition adds to it. It has a slight warmth to it which belies the coldness of the day in was made.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 5th July 2021, 12:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Hi Marty your photograph has arrived safe and well.

It is of a world war one look out tower on the isle of Bressay Shetland.
The picture has a presents to it that I really like your symmetrical composition adds to it. It has a slight warmth to it which belies the coldness of the day in was made.
Many thanks, Mitch.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies