Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2010, 06:59 PM
Friend

Default T Max Developer

I have just purchased a 1L bottle of this developer intending to use it for T Max 3200 after some advice from one of the guys in Silverprint when I called in a couple of weeks ago.
I have been experimenting with Delta 3200 but wasn't happy with the results I was getting, and mentioning this I was told that T Max 3200 will give you a truer film speed than Delta and gives good results with the T Max dev.
The bottle says capacity for 1L working strength solution is 4 films + 4 films add 1 min to dev time + 4 films add 2 min to dev time = 12 films, and working strength solution will keep 6 months. I don't envisage using 12 films in 6 months, but if I mix up 600ml (enough to dev 2 x 35mm together) does anybody know or care to give an educated guess as to the capacity and effect on dev times. Would it be 2 films + 2 films add 1 min dev time + 2 films add 2 mins dev time (as it is roughly half the quantity) or is there something I am missing?
The stock solution keeps a lot longer than the working strength.

Neil
Old 29th April 2010, 07:58 PM
Friend

Neil, a few years ago I used tmax developer with tri x, and used and for half the working strength and used the working strength as you suggest with no problems,half the w/s =half the number of films,Richard
Old 29th April 2010, 11:01 PM
Friend

I have only ever used an outdated Tmax 3200 film and then with Ilford developer (ID11 I think) but it did seem to have the edge on D3200 grain-wise but not speed-wise. In fact I thought it slower but that may have been connected to it being outdated.

If it is inherently faster than D3200 it is the first I have heard this.

I don't know the dilution required for working strength but it sounds more economical than the Ilford D3200 equivalent which is DDX which only does 20 films for 1L in a Jobo tank requiring 250mls per 35mm film.

It may be less economical this way but you might want to consider decanting the 1L stock into a winebag and decant and dilute as required and then dump.

It sounds as if Tmax dev is designed for using several times as a working solution but unless the savings this way are large, using once and dump may be the better and safer option.

Mike
Old 29th April 2010, 11:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
If it is inherently faster than D3200 it is the first I have heard this.
That's strange because everyone I spoke to about D3200 said it's true speed was closer to a 1000 and thats pretty much what I found when I used it.
It was the guy in Silverprint that told me T Max 3200 was faster particularly with the T Max dev, and as he didn't have any to sell (nobody seems to have any at the moment) he could have sold me D3200 but still recommended T Max.

Neil
Old 30th April 2010, 06:08 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
That's strange because everyone I spoke to about D3200 said it's true speed was closer to a 1000 and thats pretty much what I found when I used it.
It was the guy in Silverprint that told me T Max 3200 was faster particularly with the T Max dev, and as he didn't have any to sell (nobody seems to have any at the moment) he could have sold me D3200 but still recommended T Max.

Neil
My recollection is that the information that you were given is correct, but it's not a film that I have used.
Old 30th April 2010, 09:01 AM
Friend

I had great success with TMZ exposed at EI 1250 and developed in Ilfotec HC. The very same combination is recommeneded here: http://www.chrisjohnsonphotographer.com/charts.shtml
I have only exposed one film and printed one frame on Fomatone 543 12x16 inch, though. I will try to find and post it here for you to see.

Miha
Old 30th April 2010, 09:15 AM
Friend

Thanks for the link Miha, interesting he says best combination for speed contrast and sharpness is T Max 3200 in Ilfotec dev, something else to try I think after I give the T Max dev a try.
I look forward to your posting.

Neil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies