Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th July 2020, 03:20 PM
Friend

Default PanF+ exposed at 125

I was distracted loading some PanF+ into my camera the other day and have been treating it as FP4+.

Has anyone here any experience of pushing PanF+ as far as that? The Massive Dev Chart has given me a suggestion for developing it rated at ISO 100 in HC-110 dilution D (1+79). So I could add a bit to that and hope for the best - but experienced advice on a multiple of the box time, 4 minutes in 1+31, would be very helpful.
Old 19th July 2020, 04:12 PM
Friend

Michael, if you have had a look at the Pan F specs in IlfordPhoto then I will be telling you nothing new but if not, have a look at page 4 of 6 where the instructions describe what it call "accidental exposure i.e. exposiing it at above EI 64

It mentions 8 mins in Microphen stock at 100 and 12 mins at 200 or above. At 125 and assuming you have Microphen then 9 mins might be a reasonable guess. Nothing about non Ilford developer of course

None of this is helpful of course if HC 110 is the intended developer

I even checked Covington Innovations site where there is extensive stuff on HC 110 but nothing on any speed above box speed unfortunately. It just doesn't see to be a film that takes kindly to any kind of a speed increase beyond a paltry EI 64

Best of luck

Mike

Mike
Old 19th July 2020, 05:05 PM
Friend

Hi Michael
Just had a look at the MDC and it gives 11 minutes at 1-1 for pan f at 100, I would be inclined to develop it as for 100, using either the ID11 or HC110, you should get a reasonable negative, one that should print well, I would not be inclined to add a bit for the extra 25 iso, or if the film is important do a clip test, at 100iso, that way the only negatives you risk are only the first few, and you can increase the develop time in you need to
Richard
Old 19th July 2020, 06:36 PM
Friend

Thank you both. One way or another, you've given me enough encouragement and I'll go with HC-110. At the moment I have only Rodinal or Ilfotec HC as other options; and the data sheet steers me away from the latter, though it's my preferred developer for correctly exposed PanF+.
Old 19th July 2020, 07:07 PM
Friend

Pan F in rodinal 100 iso 100 would be 12 minutes at 1/25, From past experience (Long past,) Pan f does well in Rodinal, also Pan F does well in semi stand development in Rodinal, for 100 it would be 1 /150,continuous agitation for first 60 seconds then then 2 or 3 times during remainder of development, which is 1 hour, and you are right, Ilfotec wouldn't work over the 50 iso
Richard
Old 21st July 2020, 08:44 PM
Friend

I went with HC-110; but in my 8oz (227.4ml) tank the dilution would have meant using only 2.8ml of concentrate. I reckoned that might not be enough for even the 28 exposure length to be developed (I can't find a figure for HC-110 coverage anywhere and nowadays you can't know "which" HC-110 is being referred to!). So I diluted to 1+59 instead of 1+79 and gave it 9 minutes instead of 12. Initial results look OK for density and definition in the skies.

Thank you again for moral support.
Old 22nd July 2020, 05:16 AM
Friend

Well done Michael, nicely saved.
I normally expose PanF at EI 25 as I think it looks better. I wouldn't dream of trying it at 125, so worth knowing this works.
Thanks.
Old 22nd July 2020, 08:47 AM
Friend

Modern day film emulsions are very tolerant of those Senior moments. You have to do something extremely forgetful to receive unworkable negatives and if they are that bad scanning them can get you results. I know I have been down this road before.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies