Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
Ah ok. I’ve found that Ilford state 250ml per film. 4 per pack!! But this is encouraging. Thanks.
Adrian, the whole question of the minimum amount of Perceptol per film started a long thread on Photrio . The 4 per pack is based on something that Ilford apparently states but how you read Ilford's statement is open to interpretation

Like you I could not bring myself to believe that Ilford meant that 250ml of stock was the minimum quantity required for perfectly OK development so that a 1L pack of Perceptol only does 4 films. If this were the correct reading of Ilford's statement then this means that if you want to do Perceptol at 1+3 for which Ilford gives times then nothing short of a 1L tank is good enough for a film.

I could not quite believe that if 1+3 was your favourite dilution you had to find a 1 litre tank so I wrote to Ilford and asked the question of what the minimum was, mentioning that in my case I developed 35mm film in a Jobo tank that held 250 ml so 1+3 was only 62ml of stock.

I got back a reply that said that 62ml was perhaps on the margin but 70 mls was OK. Paterson tanks for instance require 300ml so 70ml of stock gives 1+3 in 300ml tank

So 100ml of stock gives a real safety margin in my opinion and based on my negs with 62ml.

I reported my reply from Ilford on Photrio but those there who hold entrenched positions that 250ml is the minimum because that is what Ilford says in its Perceptol tech specs, were having none of it. To the extent that they felt I had not explained properly what I had meant to Ilford at worse or Ilford had completely misunderstood what I had written at best

When I said that my 62mls had produced satisfactory negs, the reply(ies) (it was mainly one person in the other corner) was/were that my "satisfactory" was clearly below what the best negs with 250ml would have looked like

The point of my story being that on some forums you get a range of replies and if some don't stack up with what seems right then questions need asking

You must decide what the minimum quantity is for you but my evidence suggests that while I may have been at the margin with 62mls of stock, 100ml is certainly fine

Mike

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies