Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th April 2012, 07:46 PM
Friend

Default Mamiya RZ Pro owners?

I'm hoping there may be some RZ Pro owners that can clears this up for me as the answers I have found floating around online done match up.

I am simply wondering the compatibility of using RB lenses on an RZ body. Some say yes they all work , some say you need a collar that fits to the rear of the RB lens?

Any first hand experience?

Many thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 07:07 AM
Friend

The RZ lens have (I think) an electronic shutter whilst the RB series are mechanical so I doubt that the are interchangeable.

I can address the collar issue. These were introduced when Mamiya increased the throat size of the camera to accommodate a new range of lens, so that the old lens would match the size of the new models although the actual locking collar remained the same size. I could not understand why since the old lens fitted the new pro-body OK without collars, I can only assume that the adapter collar made it easier to fit the lens as it stopped the sideways movement whilst you located the bayonet.

If you need a collar then PM me your address and I will post you one that I'm sure I have in my "bits" box somewhere.

Last edited by Dave miller; 19th April 2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 19th April 2012, 07:22 AM
Friend

Thinking further on this I guess that you could fit an RB lens to an RZ body and use a cable release to trip the RB lens shutter.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:00 AM
Friend

The issue of the collar is due to the different register distance in both models. Although RB lenses fit in the RZ bayonet, to focus to infinite you have to extend the bellows about 6 mm (the length of the adapt collar). This is not a problem if you remember it.

Regarding the shutter, yes, RB lenses have mechanic shutter with the shutter speed control right in the lens barrel, but they are also compatible with RZ cameras.

Cheers
Old 19th April 2012, 01:08 PM
Friend

hi s raff
I own a rb67 the last in the series. so fitting a kl lens, it goes straight on but fitting earlier lens I will have to fit an collar. as I only own kl lens I do believe that the collar helps make the old lens light tight on newer rb s weather they fit the other way around ie new kl lens on old rb I dont know but I dont think so .you have a setting on your rz to take rb lens. so it all has to do with the rear element size I would guess that the rz would take the new kl lenses and the old with the collar if you read the instructions on your rz it will tell you how to use the rb lenses on the rz
Old 19th April 2012, 01:40 PM
Friend

just had another look it looks like the kl lenses come with the lens mount adapter ring fitted as standard so if it was to big you can always take it of .
Old 19th April 2012, 06:19 PM
Friend

Thank you all. So it would seem then that the should be no real RB to RZ concerns. I have a 180mm Sekor C on its way so hopefully it will go on fine and just require firing off the lens via cable and the speed setting on the lens.

Thank you Dave for the offer, I will PM if needs be.

Stephen
Old 19th April 2012, 08:36 PM
Friend

I use a Mamiya RZ67II allot. Have used RB lenses on it no problem with no special attachments etc. On the shutter speed dial on the RZ there is a setting on it for when using RB lenses.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:08 PM
Friend

Thanks MartinH thats good to know you've used without problems the RB lenses. I believe though that the setting for RB lenses only exists on the RZ proII an you just ignore the sped dial whatever it says on the RZ pro.

Stephen
Old 20th April 2012, 06:06 AM
Friend

And you really do not need the cable to release the shutter, it could be done through the shutter button at the camera body as usual.

Actually, you maintain all the functions of the RB lenses, with the special care of extend the bellows for infinite focusing and to switch to RB on the speed dial if you use a RZ Pro II. If you use a RZ Pro, you don't need to care about switching to RB (there's no RB position on the RZ Pro speed dial).

Cheers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies