Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th May 2010, 03:18 PM
Friend

Default Mamiya c330 and Minolta 700si

Impulsively bought a Mamiya c330 with black 80mm f2.8 nd black 65mm f3.5 lenses. To make pictures I need an exposure meter and enlarger lens (6 element Nikon preferred) so can't do my own test. I have a Minolta 700si with Sigma 105mm and will get 50mm f1.7 ( funded by sale of Minolta 28-135mm). I have a Nikon 50mm f2.8 enlarging lens. The enlarger has a colour head.
For the same size print the Minolta neg will need enlarging about twice the linear enlargement of the Mamiya neg. Given that the Minolta lens is newer than the Mamiya and I would use a slower film for the same dof do you think there would be much difference that a photographer could see between the images in terms of sharpness and tonality and if so is it likely the normal non photographer notice the difference? I have developed a roll of HP5 and the negs seem fine. The photos will be static subjects, not macro and not of people.
Cheers

Jeff

ps Keeping both cameras is not an option:-((

pps I know this is the mf section but an objective view would be appreciated :-))
Old 26th May 2010, 06:04 PM
Friend

I would say you ought to also consider the degree you are likely to enlarge your work. If you are not ever going to go say above 11x14 then the 35mm gear with care will produce excellent results.

However, getting top results and printing up to the larger sizes is always easier in my experience from a larger negative such as the 6x6 ones you will get from the Mamiya.

I would also suggest before you decide what to do to have a serious play with the Mamiya with a few rolls of film and see if it suits you and see if you feel comfortable with the square format.

Then make your mind up which one has to go.

Neil.

From what you have said about subject matter

Neil Souch
Old 26th May 2010, 06:16 PM
Friend

Personally I think that whatever size you print to you get better quality easier with a big negative than 35mm, I us 35mm when I have to,but always prefer the bigger format, and you have got a winner with the mamiya, but as Neil says, try a few rolls to see how you get on with the square format, it does'nt suit everyone, as for an enlarging, you can pick up minolta E Rokker lens for peanuts today, and they are a very good lens indeed,Richard
Old 26th May 2010, 07:15 PM
Friend

If keeping both cameras is not an option, I would consider what subjects you are most likely to shoot. If it were landscape its the medium format, but if you did reportage/sport it would be the 35mm. So have a think about what it will be used for, 35mm can be a good all rounder.

Neil
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies