Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th July 2017, 10:30 PM
Friend

Default print storage

how do you store your prints and where do you store them .I keep my prints in the boxes the paper came out of ,and I store them on shelves I built in my darkroom I have 200 boxes all full of prints, that I do look at from time to time ,I will get about 5 boxes down now and then and sit down at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and enjoy looking at my work ,I do get pleasure and enjoyment looking at my old photographs ,but am I doing right by the way I store them .they go back to when I was about 17 ,and I am 60 now so they have all kept well ,is this luck or am I doing right keeping them in the boxes the paper came in . how do you store your prints..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th July 2017, 01:25 PM
Friend

I do the same but do not keep them in the darkroom. They are kept on book shelf's in office.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 19th July 2017, 08:24 PM
Friend

My mounted prints are either on display in my house, (and regularly changed around) but unmounted ones are in appropriate sized boxes in my darkroom cupboard. I get them out occasionally and think where and when they were taken.

A little bit of nostalgia if you like.
Old 21st July 2017, 01:49 PM
Friend

Hi Paul,

As John does, the really good prints are framed and hanging on the walls around the house. These are on a rotating exchange, so when we get bored of one I simply pop in another. I have standardized frame sizes so that the mounting mat boards can be all the same size (for similar-sized prints, that is....different frame sizes for different print sizes, obviously ).

Whatever isn't quite good enough for display, I used to store those prints in the empty photo paper sleeves. But then decided that it was a shame to have all those images stashed away where no one could appreciate them. So from an artist's supply store I bought some inexpensive portfolio binders with clear polyethylene sleeves - a couple each for 8x10 and 11x14. These now reside on the living room side table, and can be picked up and looked at any time by whomever is interested. So now I have a few dozen prints in albums right at hand.

Regards,
Svend
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:58 AM
Friend

the boxes the paper comes in are far from ideal for long term storage. They are made from cheap cardboard containing all sorts of nasties that can have a detrimental effect on quality prints.
If you do not want to buy archival storage boxes you should at least protect them inside thes boxes wit the black plastic bags that the paper come in
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:56 AM
Friend

Prints good enough for display are mounted and displayed around the house, rotating then on a regular basis, others are stored in the paper boxes in the darkroom, I get them out sometimes to tryu to show folks the difference between the mounted display ptints and the not quite there prints, and to remind my self that I can do better
Richard
Old 24th July 2017, 02:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Marsh View Post
the boxes the paper comes in are far from ideal for long term storage. They are made from cheap cardboard containing all sorts of nasties that can have a detrimental effect on quality prints.
If you do not want to buy archival storage boxes you should at least protect them inside thes boxes wit the black plastic bags that the paper come in
That's a good point Ian. I only use old paper packages with the plastic pouches, and then only for reject prints. The good ones go into portfolio binders in archival plastic sleeves, and the best ones go on the wall in frames.
Old 6th August 2017, 08:41 PM
Friend

I store my prints, all on 20x16" club-size mounts, along with spare mounts and 20x16" polyester bags, in a white melamine IKEA plan chest. It has six drawers, each A2 sized. I was a bit concerned at first that fumes from the white paint or melamine might attack my B&W and ancient EP3 prints but no problems in the last eight years.
Old 6th August 2017, 10:58 PM
Friend

this is the problem when you prints start getting in to the 1000s plus , storage becomes a problem ,but I love printing my negatives and I love keeping and giving away some of my prints ,so the problem will only get worse and that's great ,so when somebody says to me what have you been doing all your life I can point at a great pile of boxes and say that lot

www.essexcockney.com
Old 7th August 2017, 07:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
this is the problem when you prints start getting in to the 1000s plus , storage becomes a problem ,but I love printing my negatives and I love keeping and giving away some of my prints ,so the problem will only get worse and that's great ,so when somebody says to me what have you been doing all your life I can point at a great pile of boxes and say that lot

www.essexcockney.com
That will be me at some point, in fact it already is.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies