Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th December 2017, 01:56 PM
Friend

Default Packing and sending prints?

Hello guys,

This is my first post on this forum, which I've found very helpful so far.
Recently I've made some prints I want to send to a friend in a different country, they are 8x10s.

How do you usually protect the prints so they don't get damaged during the shipping?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 4th December 2017, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard.

I rarely send prints abroad but for local posting, sandwiching the prints between some stiff card (old mat board) seems to work OK.

If practical, sending them rolled up in a tube is probably the safest method, but if they are mounted that would probably not work out well...

Have fun, Bob.
Old 4th December 2017, 02:42 PM
Friend

I send prints to various countries on a regular basis.

I put the print into a plastic sleeve (marginally larger than the print) and then sandwich this between 2 sheets of card (about 10mm larger than the sleeve). One piece needs to be fairly rigid to prevent bending the other piece can be less so it is mainly for protection. I then secure these with a few pieces of tape (to stop enything sliding about) and wrap the whole thing in brown paper. So far I am unaware of anything arriving damaged.

alternatively I guess you could send them in an old box that the paper came in, but that would add considerably to the weight and therefore cost.

Last edited by Ian Marsh; 4th December 2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 4th December 2017, 05:15 PM
Friend

For all of the print exchanges that I have done and ie for prints sent and received, they have all been put, with no problems over dozens of prints, by using one of the A4 card backed envelopes. They cost about a pound each at a Post Office, but I have bought mine at various places over the years in packs of ten, which makes them cheaper. My last purchase was from a branch of Staples.

I just thought = you may not be in the UK, so may not have the shops mentioned, but any good stationer etc should have them in stock.

Terry S
UK
Old 4th December 2017, 05:41 PM
Friend

I mainly use a card backed envelope with an additional of cut of mounting board with no problems for all of the print exchange rounds and others I send and as far as I know they all arrive safely and undamaged,
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies