Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2010, 10:51 AM
Friend

Smile Another reason I love film

I see there's a new catergory of camera hitting the world, the EVIL "Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens".
My Nikon F90X is all i'll ever need to shoot 35mm, and my Bronica is all i'll ever need to shoot medium format.
This is not a dig at digital, just another reason I love film.
Old 20th January 2010, 06:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsparkes View Post
the EVIL "Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens".
As a matter of interest,what exactly is it when it's at home? Interchangeable lens I understand. Nothing new there but what's an electronic viewfinder?

Mike
Old 20th January 2010, 06:26 PM
Friend

Hi "Mike" and "jonsparkes"

My interpretation of "Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens".

is that unlike a manual camera like say a Nikon FM2,FE2 FM3, the aperture value is shown in a analog format through a little window in the viewfinder ADR (Aperture direct readout Window) like an old rotary clock dial.

The electronic viewfinder display dosen't have an ADR window but receives the aperture info direct from the microchip in the lens and sent to the lcd viewfinder as a computer generated f:/number. Hope this makes sense. At least I know what I mean.

I quite agree with you "jonsparkes", film is more than enough for me too as I have a Nikon F90x/MB10, FM2n, F5 and a Bronica ETRSi. All working perfectly and I really must stop buying kit. I just love the feel and response I get using film cameras. Even with my F90x and F5 I always select manual mode (spot meter) and use an incident meter with medium format. Anyway, this forum is here to support like minded folk.

My real joy and exicitment is the process of film development and printing. I still get a warm, that's fun feeling after every D&P session.

Larry.
Old 20th January 2010, 06:45 PM
Friend

Ah yes, a friend of mine got one for his birthday and I had a quick go. Imagine looking through the viewfinder of your trusty camera, moving it (maybe following movement of a bird, or similar), and what you're seeing 'lags' because it has to process it electronically and its slightly slower than... light.

The only good thing about them is they are more like a rangefinder as they have no mirror... but then again, why not just get a rangefinder, for £20.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:54 PM
Friend

An electronic viewfinder is just a tiny LCD screen viewed through an eyepiece, rather than an optical viewfinder which is either an image on ground glass (SLR) or a direct view (rangefinder or P+S camera). A friend of mine has one on his Panasonic digicompact. Theo's right about the speed, but OTOH you can see a lot better in very low light. It's the way small digital "SLRs" like Micro 4/3 are going it seems.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 20th January 2010, 09:04 PM
Friend

Perhaps one of the film camera manufacturers should respond by marketing a 'real-time, live viewfinder camera' with 'revolutionary, precious-metal image-gathering technology'. They could also promote the 'replacement of 20th century chip technology with non-battery interface with a super-computer with built-in 3D image recognition and evaluation systems (formerly known as 'the human brain')!

Rob
Old 20th January 2010, 09:04 PM
Friend

Dave are you there ? Do you see what those guys are talking about. Put a lock on it or we are all doomed.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 20th January 2010, 09:12 PM
Friend

Bitching about d****** is allowed isn't it?
Old 21st January 2010, 07:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoP View Post
Bitching about d****** is allowed isn't it?
Quite right Theo, it isn't.
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies