Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Equipment

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th October 2012, 09:05 PM
Friend

Default Watch this space

I have manged to secure samples of Slavitch Unibrom paper both brand new and just over a year old. I will be doing some work over the next few days and will post feedback on this, one of the last bastions of the true cold bromide paper.

Watch this space.
Old 11th November 2012, 05:49 PM
Friend

Well here we go.

Many, no doubt will have read two accepted truths about Slavich Unibrom paper. The first is that it cold and the second is that it is harder than its grade suggests. My personal experience is that both these truths are, indeed, true.

Image colour is a true cold black that stacks up very nicely aginst that long lamented doyen of the cold tone papers Forte Polygrade. However, unlike polygrade it does not block up its shadows that easily. I remember that you had to be careful about this when using polygrade. The single weight is indeed very thin but robust and so long as you take care, it does not easily crease during processing.

I have only toned it in tetenal gold toner and after 10 minutes found that although there was some intensifcation, there was no colour shift to blue. I have yet to try it in Selenium

With regard to grade, it is indeed harder than the grade suggests with grade two being closer to grade 3 and grade 3 being very close to grade 4. If I was to standardise on grade 4 I would use two baths namely Selectol Soft (or equivalent) and probably Ansco 130.

When dry it exhibits marked curl but I found it easy to flatten after around 7 minutes in a dry mount press at 100 degrees C.

In short my initial tests indicate that this is a paper I would like to add to my "arsenal" but I need to double check how grade 1 performs (if I can get it).

The attched scan is printed on Slavich Unibrom Grade 2 developed for 2.5 minutes in Ansco 130 diluted 1:1. With this particular version of Ansco 130 I substituted the potassium bromide with 15ml of 1% Benzotriazole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TigersClough2.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1594  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies