Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd September 2021, 12:04 PM
Friend

Thanks to everyone who contributed. There some very interesting views given, which have made me think a bit more about the title.

I think a bit more reading and thinking by myself is in order for me to come to a final thought.

Many thanks again everyone.

Terry S
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:15 AM
Print Exchange Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Some interesting views here.

When reading this kind of thing on art I sometimes recall the English writer Alexi Sayle.

He said "I left art school when I realised that no matter how good an artist you were, unless you had a good patron, and could talk for hours on end, waffling on meaninglessly about the work that you had just created, you would never make a successful artist."

It's also possibly he was not very good.

Cheers.
Define 'good'? This is in the eye of the beholder. If you like an image for whatever reason, it is 'good' as far as you are concerned.

Mike
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:28 AM
Friend

In my youth I wrote a lot of poetry.
It didn't matter how "good" I thought it was, the Council workmen invariably painted over it.

Cheers,
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:58 AM
Friend

I tend to admire prints (and, for that matter, paintings) from the point of view of the craft involved, as least as much as from the more vague point of view of the "art" involved. So I really don't know what "fine art" could mean; but there's more to it than "I know what I like".

By definition I'm not a "fine art printer". Photography is fun, isn't it?
Old 24th September 2021, 08:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
For me fine art is a way for some photographer's to justify themselves as better than you. sorry gents but that is the way it comes across
Agree, just self-promotion or sales talk, but then again I am a down to earth person from the north who does not understand "fine art", I just know what I like and I can tell what is quality and what is rubbish, thats good enough for me. At school we had a very simple marking system: see me, could do better, good, very good and excellent. with regard to printing I am still at the could do better level, is "fine art" better than excellent?
Old 24th September 2021, 10:43 AM
Friend

These days anything that you can see, hear or touch can and has been described as art. Art has become a rather meaningless word that means all things to all people but that is the world we live in.

Tony
Old 25th September 2021, 08:03 AM
Friend

Hi Tony,
Could be the very reason why "fine" is added by some. Though it does not help.
Frank
Old 14th October 2021, 11:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Agree, just self-promotion or sales talk, but then again I am a down to earth person from the north who does not understand "fine art", I just know what I like and I can tell what is quality and what is rubbish, thats good enough for me. At school we had a very simple marking system: see me, could do better, good, very good and excellent. with regard to printing I am still at the could do better level, is "fine art" better than excellent?
When anyone starts talking about fine art in this way I'm always reminded of Tony Hancock's take on the art world.

At the end of the day they are just words what counts is the image, picture, photograph whether it is finely done is for others to judge.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 15th October 2021, 08:23 PM
Friend

First of all, may I concur with Alexi Sayle. My late father was a sculptor and lecturer. He undertook numerous commissions, mostly from architects, but he never succeeded commercially, unlike his contemporaries with 'the gift of the gab'.
It was really sad to see that over two hundred people turned up at his funeral. Familiar names in the art world gave lengthy eulogies, so his art was not wanting.

On the subject of 'fine art printing'... When we retired we sold a big family home and bought a flat in England (no room for a darkroom) and a modest terrace house in France. Part of the town in France had been run-down for decades, perhaps centuries, and the wooden front doors were rotting and in some cases crumbling away. So I decided to make a record of their appearance before the yuppies repair or paint them.
I shelled out on an expensive 6x6 camera and got used to lugging a heavy tripod around. I gratefully received gifts of darkroom bits - I only paid proper money for the Ilford dryer! I use Delta 100 in Rodinal to retain detail and print 30 x 40cm Multigrade RC, sometimes wasting half a dozen sheets to get it right. I am proud of the results. But is it fine art? Or craft? Or just an historical record? Comments please...
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies