Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th March 2022, 12:08 AM
Friend

My understanding of safelights is that while the 902 is "safe" for Ilford and Kentmere MG papers it is not safe for, I think, Foma paper However it was my understanding that red safelights are safe for all papers. So the Ilford 902 is a kind of one-way street in that it is not safe for all papers whereas the red safelight is safe for all papers

Miha is not saying that his red bulbs aren't safe but simply that two 15 W bulb are not safe for his darkroom for more than one minute so his recommendation to us is that we might have assumed a greater safe time for these red bulbs than may be the case and a test is sensible.

What we don't know is how big his darkroom is nor the direction and distance of his 2 red safelights from his paper at exposure or processing

I assume that given the kind of bulbs they are, they might both be in ceiling light holders but they may not

I assume as these red bulbs are sold as safelights then they do function properly as such and are not simply red glass.

I recall the old red glass that created "artificial" fire in electric heaters when they were "off" which had a flickering effect by means of a kind of windmill fan. They were probably not safe for darkroom paper but it seems reasonable that his stockist does not sell red bulbs that are in fact not really darkroom safelights

Mike
Old 14th March 2022, 08:15 AM
Friend

When Ilford introduced the 1980s Fibre based Multigrade I was using a small darkroom and struggled to get good prints, no problems with Gallerie or Ilfospeed graded papers.

I was using a Photax domed Orange/Red standard safelight, then I read about issues of lantent image bleaching caused by the Herschell effecy, that coincided with Photax releasing a VC brown dome, equivalent yo an OC.902, specifically for Multigrade papers. Switching to the VC dome solved the problem.

Ian
Old 14th March 2022, 11:12 AM
Friend

The 902 light brown and the 906 dark red are still available at Ilford Harman.
Looks like they only do 8x10" filters. I cannot find the 7x5".

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/accessories/safelights

You may not fancy their prices.
Mr Cad sells second hand safelight filters, but you would have to check their condition before parting with your cash.

Cheers.
Old 14th March 2022, 11:58 AM
Friend

Pre-WWII copies of the BJP almanac contained instructions for making safe lights, although not one similar to a 902.

I picked up a NIB 10x8 906 about 3 years ago for £5, it's the one needed for Harman Direct Positive paper. I hadn't realised they were that much new.

Personally, I find the 902/VC safelights more comfortable to work with compared to the Red/Orange safe lights,

Ian
Old 14th March 2022, 02:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
I know about the Ilford 902 from these documents but I don't think it's available for purchase?
They are available new here on the Ilford website, but the price is eye-watering. Second-hand was the way I went.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 14th March 2022, 03:38 PM
Friend

Personally, I only use one small red LED light bulb to light my darkroom, although I am looking at putting in a second one, to make the developing area slightly brighter, in the hope that it will help with my lith developing.

The light gives me ample illumination and I use a variety of papers and have no problems with fogging at all.

When I have time, I'll try a darkroom test as prescribed, to see if it throws anything up.

Oh, and they are MUCH cheaper than the Ilford filters linked to in this thread.

Terry S
Old 14th March 2022, 05:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
While the technical data sheet for kentmere vc select l downloaded from the US does mention safelights.
I wrote to Ilford today and they got back to me in two hours already stating that the Kentmere paper requires either 902 or dark red safelight.
Old 14th March 2022, 05:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
My understanding of safelights is that while the 902 is "safe" for Ilford and Kentmere MG papers it is not safe for, I think, Foma paper However it was my understanding that red safelights are safe for all papers. So the Ilford 902 is a kind of one-way street in that it is not safe for all papers whereas the red safelight is safe for all papers

Miha is not saying that his red bulbs aren't safe but simply that two 15 W bulb are not safe for his darkroom for more than one minute so his recommendation to us is that we might have assumed a greater safe time for these red bulbs than may be the case and a test is sensible.

What we don't know is how big his darkroom is nor the direction and distance of his 2 red safelights from his paper at exposure or processing

I assume that given the kind of bulbs they are, they might both be in ceiling light holders but they may not

I assume as these red bulbs are sold as safelights then they do function properly as such and are not simply red glass.

I recall the old red glass that created "artificial" fire in electric heaters when they were "off" which had a flickering effect by means of a kind of windmill fan. They were probably not safe for darkroom paper but it seems reasonable that his stockist does not sell red bulbs that are in fact not really darkroom safelights

Mike
Mike, I finished my last night's printing session with one bulb switched off, and the other one dimmed with a black card.

BTW, my darkroom has around 6 sqm, the bulbs are mounted on the wall, but high up, close to the ceiling, however about 1,2 m away from the working surface, so the distance can be a tad too short.
Old 14th March 2022, 05:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
The 902 light brown and the 906 dark red are still available at Ilford Harman.
Looks like they only do 8x10" filters. I cannot find the 7x5".

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/accessories/safelights

You may not fancy their prices.
Mr Cad sells second hand safelight filters, but you would have to check their condition before parting with your cash.

Cheers.
No, I do not fancy the prices I'll go s/h instead.
Old 14th March 2022, 06:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
I wrote to Ilford today and they got back to me in two hours already stating that the Kentmere paper requires either 902 or dark red safelight.
Interesting, that light red is inappropriate. It makes you wonder about the red under the lens filter in that case?

Like Ian, I find red light, light but especially dark red, no where near as comfortable, to work in as VC illumination.

I'm sure you won't look back once you've got it and the light red, may still prove to be useful in the future.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies