Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th January 2013, 10:38 PM
Friend

My boy has been in the darkroom with me since he was four. He's great at it now at 16. He was moving to digital but he now sees the beauty of film. (good for him)
Old 25th January 2013, 10:42 PM
Friend

The duck board... let me think. No, I think they are all redwood. I cut up a 2"x12"x12' one weekend and made the one for the 16 ft sink and one for the 8 foot sink. I dont think I treated them for 2 reasons.

First: it was too much work, and even treated I didnt know how long they would last.
Second: I didnt know how the photo chems would react to the oils.

They have been in there for a couple years and really are holding their own.

They are the first I've used in 25 years and I'm quite happy I have them. They keep the mess and splash down quite a bit.

Trays stay cleaner and the sink drains better.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:03 PM
Friend

Thank you Robert.

You've given me inspiration for my own wooden sink. It makes complete sense to have slats having seen them now for the first time.

Very much appreciative for the reply thank you.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:06 PM
Friend

You are most welcome, Gavin.

One thing as well: I used coated wood screws for decking hoping they would withstand the chemicals. They have done ok, but stainless would really be the way to go. They would cost dearly but last the rest of your life and would be reusable if the duck board was ever rebuilt.
Old 25th January 2013, 11:26 PM
Friend

I was going to question stainless as there has been some debate about using it alongside darkroom chemicals Robert, however I manage a yacht chandlery so the costs would be negligible and I imagine the stainless fixing issue would be using stainless supplied in land locked hardware stores which would commonly be A2 freshwater inland waterway grade (same as s/s sinks) and not A4 which is all I stock and below waterline sea-water grade.

This is good news. Thanks again.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:46 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I'm fairly happy with my shooting rate but I unfortunately don't print enough!
That sounds very much like me.
When at a location I know I'm not likely to visit again, I do go through many rolls of film. But somehow once I've developed them, find myself feeling that I should have taken more.
Old 7th February 2013, 04:04 PM
Friend

Here's the latest film shipment... This stuff is really getting expensive.

Old 23rd February 2013, 10:58 PM
Friend

I know I've picked up on this a bit late in the day, but here's my "two-penneth" anyway.

The comments by Martin Aislabie regarding shooting as many frames as you want to, as opposed to how many others do, are excellent.

I think there's another factor involved, however, namely the difference in taking and viewing photographs.

When we take photographs, we are thinking, naturally enough, about making the image. We're also influenced in our choice of subject and composition, etc. by the environment we're in and how we perceive it at the time.

When it comes to viewing the images, however, we perceive them not as a maker, but as a viewer after the event. What we then see is the picture isolated from the influences of the environment it was taken in at the time, as well the experience of making it.

As an example of this, I'm sure that many if not all of us have laboured over a particular subject or composition, only to reject it in favour of another one "banged off" on the way back to the car, perhaps in order to use up the roll of film.

I realise that to some I may be stating the obvious, but I feel it's worth expending a few extra frames of film not for any technical reason, but rather to account for our differing appreciation between the subject / composition at the time we make the exposure and the eventual image.

(Sorry if I went a bit Luminous Landscape over this!)

Last edited by JamesK; 23rd February 2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Errors
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies