Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th August 2015, 08:10 PM
Friend

Default My kind of book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...af+otto+becker

Bought Broken Line by Olaf Otto Becker today whilst browsing in a second hand bookshop. Stunning colour images created with an 8x10 camera, worth £21 all day long. What was your most recent photography related book purchase?
Old 18th August 2015, 10:28 PM
Friend

It was " Sleeping with Ghosts" by Don McCullin courtesy of a member of this site.

I hadn't realised he had covered the Cyprus crisis of the 60s as well as Vietnam for which he may be better known.

He may have had competition from other photographers in Vietnam but it may be that he had Cyprus largely to himself. This had been a troubled island from the early 50's and the struggle for independence from Britain to the internal war and Turkish invasion of 1974.

I'd have preferred more pictures from Cyprus and a little more narrative overall from Don but a great book nevertheless.

Mike
Old 19th August 2015, 05:48 AM
Friend

Mine was 'Edward Weston' from the Masters of Photography series published by Aperture 1997 edition. Bought for a stupidly cheap price from AbeBeooks. It's a library copy which has hardly been read. The reproductions are good. I've never really looked into Weston's work - apart from the obvious 'pepper' shots etc - and I was quite suprised to see the different subjects he covered. Interesting book which led me to find a photograph - not in the book - that is now one of my favourite still lifes.

Tony
Old 19th August 2015, 08:14 AM
Friend

Over the last fortnight I have bought several books with the Basic Techniques of Photography 2: An Ansel Adams Guide Bk2 by John Schaefer being the most recent. Book 1 is on its way from America along with Ansel Adams Examples: the making of 40 photographs.
I also bought Les McLean's Creative Black and White and Roger Hick's darkroom basics.
These all cost less than £30 including postage, some only costing 1p with £2.80 postage, all of which are in at least very good condition.

David
Old 19th August 2015, 09:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
Mine was 'Edward Weston' from the Masters of Photography series published by Aperture 1997 edition. Bought for a stupidly cheap price from AbeBeooks. It's a library copy which has hardly been read. The reproductions are good. I've never really looked into Weston's work - apart from the obvious 'pepper' shots etc - and I was quite suprised to see the different subjects he covered. Interesting book which led me to find a photograph - not in the book - that is now one of my favourite still lifes.

By coincidence, I picked up a copy of this book just over a week ago. I got it, and some others, at our local Oxfam book shop. When I went to pay, I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything was half price due to the shop closing temporarily. I paid about £1.50 for Weston. I agree that it gives a good idea of the range of work he covered. It's all very high quality work and worth a look if you can find a copy.
Charity shops are an excellent source for books on traditional methods. On Sunday past I spotted one of the Ansel Adams technique books and the Michael Langford title 'Basic Photography' in another shop. Both in as new condition. I have them already, or I would have bought them.
Alex
Old 19th August 2015, 12:22 PM
Friend

Joan Osmond's Victor Albert Prout, a mid-Victorian photographer. Before that I bought Picturing England, where an image of his is shown. Prout photographed up and down the Thames in about 1860, collodion process and working from a boat. Joan Osmond is a descendant; so her book isn't strictly a photography book. But it's still interesting and inexpensive.

Picturing England is really good. Published by Historic England at £45. I heard about it on the British Photographic History website.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies