Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th October 2019, 12:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I haven’t used mine yet, for two reasons. Firstly, I’ve only been making movies on holiday, and when going abroad the Nikkorex is much more portable.
The other reason is to do with the settings available on the camera. From memory, it either has a limited film speed range, or no manual control. I’ll have to dig it out, but I think it couldn’t handle the Foma film which is 100asa.
Having said that, it’s an interesting and well made camera. Their Super8 models were very good, but again, only certain models can use the currently available film stocks.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Alex, how do I shoot with Fomapan 100 ASA on my 1959 Revere CA-2 8mm camera? even with manual minimum exposure f/16, it's still gonna be overexposed 2.5 stops, because these early 8mm cameras were made for 10 ASA or 15 ASA films

Last edited by Sababamovies; 26th October 2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: none
Old 26th October 2019, 12:57 PM
Friend

Default Minoltina 8 Cine camera

Hi, Ruben.
You could try fitting a suitable neutral density, or ND, filter to reduce the light by either 2 or 3 stops. You need the plain, rather than graduated type. The bit I have trouble with is how to set your meter. I think the answer is to adjust the film speed down by either 2 or 3 stops. For a 2 stop filter, you would reduce 100asa to 25asa, and for a 3stop filter you would use 12asa. I’m sure that’s how it’s done, but I’m hoping someone will correct me if that’s wrong! I’m assuming you’re using a separate exposure meter, or one on the camera that doesn’t look through the lens.
I’ve looked at the Minoltina. It has a full range of film speeds from 6-400 asa, but has no manual setting. It can use the Foma, but it would be worth testing the meter against a reliable one to ensure that any substitute meter battery is giving acceptable results. If you buy one of them, make sure it comes with at least one of the necessary film cartridges. You pre-load it with film and the changeover is much easier for the second run.
Alex

Old 26th October 2019, 01:51 PM
Friend

filters are hard to find, but thank you Alex
Old 26th October 2019, 09:27 PM
Friend

I know the problem, but maybe something could be improvised? I don’t know if your camera has a filter thread. If it does, you might be able to find a converter ring to take it up to a popular size. No thread can be a bit of a problem, but maybe a square resin filter could be cut down to suit.
Alex

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies