Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd July 2020, 12:59 PM
Friend

Default Effects on different papers in the same developer

I'm just finishing off some home mixed, teaspoon formula D72, at 1+2 dilution, in my Nova slot processor. The Ilford paper prints done in it (my usual go to paper range) have been looking great. When finished, I will currently move back onto my usual go to developer - Ilford Multigrade, as it was ordered before I tried making this developer, but I may think of returning to it permanently in the future.

Anyway, during yesterday's printing session, I decided to do a small postcard size print of all the various papers that I have, to produce a selection, quite like the Ilford prints on their paper selection that I purchased, that used to be sold.

Everything looked good on all of the Ilford surfaces that I tried, except my first try with Ilford Cooltone, which looked a little flat. I should also like to point out that the new version V paper, just sparkled with life - and is a great new paper IMO.

All of this was whilst printing at grade 3, using a new set of Ilford's 'educational filters', which are much cheaper than a full set, at about £10.00, when compared to a full set of graded filters. (You'll have to buy them direct from Ilford though, unless you buy 100 (!) sets from other sellers.)

The Kentmere also looked a little flatter, and maybe needed an extra 1/2 grade more contrast, but the biggest surprise, was Adox MCP 312, RC Matt paper. It looked more like a grade 0 print!!

I have yet to test a few more papers, including Ilford Art 300, and some much older Agfa papers, but it should be pointed out that with previous use of Ilford MG developer, EVERY paper printed fine.

So, my basic question is, have you ever used a certain paper and developer combination that just DIDN'T work as well as all of the other combinations that you have tried?

And does anyone have a particular preferred paper and developer combination, as some do with film?

Sorry for the long winded question btw.

Terry S
Old 5th July 2020, 12:02 PM
Friend

As an update - and maybe I should add a picture of two? I tried some other papers in my D72 yesterday, and Ilford's Art 300 along with some Ilford RC Warmtone VC glossy, the latter from the early 1980's, both worked absolutely fine, with good contrasty prints on both papers.

I also retried the Adox paper, taking a sheet or two from various places in the stack, to make sure it wasn't just a fogged bit of paper on the top, and it still produced, what looked like a grade 0 print...?

The final bit of my testing is to try the unresponsive papers in a dish of Ilford MG paper developer, to confirm it's my d72 developer, that for whatever reason, doesn't like a paper or two in it.

And has no one a particular paper and developer combination that they like to stick to, as some do with film and developer?

Terry S
Old 5th July 2020, 01:07 PM
Friend

Terry, I have used Ilford MG developer in the main although I think those of us on two Ilford tours in 2006 and 2008 were given WT and CT developer. The latter has long since been discontinued. If I used the WT developer I cannot for the life of me recall how warm it was so if I did use it I can only conclude that it didn't make a great impact for me compared to MG dev.

I should add that I tried a free sample of a Tetenal paper developer that AgPhotographic was giving away and I was disappointed with it. There is a thread on this developer on FADU as several of us were recipients. I'd need to look it up but if I recall, it had a very short life in the Nova slot.

Ilford MG is a good consistent all-rounder or it has been for me with RC Kentmere or Ilford paper.

I am a bit surprised at the reaction from Adox paper in D72. Pictures would be useful

Mike
Old 7th July 2020, 03:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

....... If I used the WT developer I cannot for the life of me recall how warm it was so if I did use it I can only conclude that it didn't make a great impact for me compared to MG dev.......

Mike
My experience with Ilford ID-78, their WT developer formula from times past was similar, inasmuch as the warm tone is very subtle indeed. In reality, I regard it as a neutral tone developer.

However, it's a good developer for the Nova slot processor because it lasts well. I started using it when Agfa NeutolWA became unavailable.
Old 7th July 2020, 10:15 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
My experience with Ilford ID-78, their WT developer formula from times past was similar, inasmuch as the warm tone is very subtle indeed. In reality, I regard it as a neutral tone developer.

However, it's a good developer for the Nova slot processor because it lasts well. I started using it when Agfa NeutolWA became unavailable.
Stocky this thread made me check on whether I had actually got WT dev from Ilford on one of the tours of the factory and in fact I had. It can't have had much of a "wow" factor to it as I still have nearly the whole litre left. It looks as if I used one or two fills of the Nova slot then didn't bother again.

The stuff actually expired in late 2012 but your comment on its longevity had decided me to try another fill of it to see what it does, if anything now its some 7.5 years beyond expiry date.

Mike
Old 14th July 2020, 02:30 PM
Friend

Well, I've finally worked my way through my various papers, and most were fine in my home mixed D72 teaspoon formula. This included all of the Ilford branded papers, which included a 1980's pack of RC Warmtone glossy. Even my FB Art300 looked good! The only exception to this was Ilford Cooltone. Kentmere and Adox also both looked quite flat.

I've scanned sections of three prints to try and show what I mean, using the new Ilford RC MG V first, which was lovely and contrasty with good blacks; followed by Adox RC matt and Ilford Cooltone. I've tried to get them on screen as close as possible to the prints, although the actual prints do look slightly more dull than the ones on screen. I might try, as a last test, to print these two prints with flatter tones, at 1/2 to 1 grade harder and try to develop them again in D72.

It should be noted that I printed all of the flatter prints again and they all came out fine in Ilford's MG developer @ 1 + 9.

Terry S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D72 developer test of papers FINAL THREE.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	3834  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies