Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th March 2015, 12:54 PM
Friend

Another vote for Ravillious. Wonderful pictures (and reasonably priced prints availble from the Beaford Archive). Look also at book of Edwin Smith's pictures. He was my inspiration from the moemnt I first came across them in the 1980's.
Old 21st March 2015, 02:10 AM
Friend

Sebastiao Salgado recently wrote a short kind-of-biographical book, "From my land to the planet" about how he started on photography and how he shot for his well-known picture books. It is centered on his attachment to the environment and people. I found it quite interesting.

I also like a much less serious book from the 1960s, "Mit der kamera auf du" (Living with a camera) by Spoerl. A good read with wonderful cartoons.
Old 21st March 2015, 02:32 PM
Friend

'The History of Photography' and 'Essays and Images' both by Beaumont Newhall, both should be on your book case. Happy hunting.
Old 24th March 2015, 06:35 AM
Friend

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen View Post
I quite agree - a wonderful book with some of the most honest and engaging photographs that you will ever see.

In the end, with the help of the staff at Exeter Camera Exchange, they tested a number of newer (but not current) Leitz lenses and found one that, with the use of my fathers own version of a (replenishable) two-bath developer gave James the results that he was looking for.

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
Very interesting David and thanks for posting this.

One article I read was that his films were developed in diluted D-76, the Book "An English Eye" mentions dilute Perceptol and now you have mentioned your father's two-bath developer, it gets rather confusing as to which film process he actually settled on.
Old 24th March 2015, 04:58 PM
Friend

Thanks all for your recommendations and suggestions.

Jake
Old 19th April 2021, 07:02 AM
Friend

A new book by Geoff Dyer has just been published - See/Saw: Looking at Photographs by Geoff Dyer - and it is reviewed by the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ff-dyer-review
Old 19th April 2021, 11:41 AM
Friend

I would opt for 'The Ongoing Moment' by Geoff Dyer as well. I heard Geoff being interviewed last week about his new book 'See/Saw' and I have it on order.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 19th April 2021, 02:54 PM
Friend

There was an August Sander exhibition in Königswinter in 2018. I didn't go to it but I bought the catalogue and was also offered a real delight. He is best known for his character studies but this is a small collection of his landscapes (and a few flowers, interiors etc.). While its text is in German, the photographs don't need explaining.

No author: August Sander: Das Gesicht der Landschaft - Rhein und Siebengebirge. Köln, 2017. 978-3-00-058316-2.

Sorry to be a bit librarianly about the citation: it would make it easier to locate.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies