Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU 2010

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2010, 11:24 AM
Friend

Default Distinctions

Many Friends have gained an impressive collection of photographic distinctions, those that have, and who entered work into FADU 2009 last year may have noticed that these where not mentioned on the picture captions at the exhibition, or within our yearbook. The reasoning behind this was that we were exhibiting photographs rather than past achievements, and we wished to maintain a level playing field for the tyro printers among us. Put another way, we preferred to allow the quality of the work to “speak” rather than the experience behind them.
Was this the correct approach, and should we review it for FADU 2010?
Old 6th March 2010, 11:35 AM
Friend

All i know from seeing local photo club exhibitions is there is no correlation between number of letters after someone's name and the quality if the work. I'd say distinctions are irrelevant in an (mainly) artistic pursuit like photography.
Old 6th March 2010, 11:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Many Friends have gained an impressive collection of photographic distinctions, those that have, and who entered work into FADU 2009 last year may have noticed that these where not mentioned on the picture captions at the exhibition, or within our yearbook. The reasoning behind this was that we were exhibiting photographs rather than past achievements, and we wished to maintain a level playing field for the tyro printers among us. Put another way, we preferred to allow the quality of the work to “speak” rather than the experience behind them.
Was this the correct approach, and should we review it for FADU 2010?
I think you made the right decision Dave.
Tim
Old 6th March 2010, 11:52 AM
Friend

I too believe that was the correct approach.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 6th March 2010, 12:43 PM
Friend

A refreshing approach which I think would be best kept. I've always thought it should be about the work not the background.

Neil
Old 6th March 2010, 01:16 PM
Friend

I'm with the comments already expressed

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 6th March 2010, 01:17 PM
Friend

I think maintaining the status quo would be a good thing. As one of Dave's 'tyro' printers, the sense of a level playing field is an encouragement to have a go. FADU has grown a lot, so there will doubtless be much fiercer competition for inclusion in FADU 2010, but all Friends should be able to feel they are in with a shout of getting a print included, qualifications and experience notwithstanding.
Old 6th March 2010, 03:03 PM
Friend

There have been several threads about distinctions here and the general view of the subject seems to a negative one, which seems a pity (to me).

I am not sure if this is a good analogy but I am learning the piano and doing it for fun. I feel no need to take grades or exams but I am sure there are adult learners who want to do so in order to give themselves a target and a sense of achievement. I would applaud them for doing so.

However, getting back to the thread, I do think that listing distinctions can be tiresome and I notice that even some camera clubs are doing less of it. Perhaps mention of an FRPS might be allowed as they do not give them away too easily (even Terence Donavon was proud of his).

Les
Old 6th March 2010, 03:06 PM
Friend

If you are only as good as your last image, then what you 'achieved' in the past may not be relevant now.... I'm agreed with the idea of keeping the qualifications/distinctions off the list.
Old 6th March 2010, 04:28 PM
Friend

I think that not listing distinctions was very much the right approach,let the quality of everybodys work speak for itself,Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies