Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd January 2011, 10:00 PM
Friend

Default Jessops/AP Bulk Film Loader

Calling all our friends with AP/Jessops loaders.

I won a Jessops machine on e-bay( no instructions with it) and I have examined it and thought I had worked out how to load it but just thought I'd check to see if there was any info on Google.

Well interestingly there is a video demonstration which is quite good and confirms that my assumptions were correct but the video doesn't cover everything.

There is a footage/meterage dial set at 100ft or 30m which will record film used and there is a kind of catch which when pulled down allows the dial to return to 100ft/ 30m as it will need to when loading a fresh bulk roll.

However there seems to be no easy way to turn the dial to the other size of bulk roll which is 17m or 55ft except by laboriously turning the film winder minus a film until it gets to 17m to start from there.

Am I missing some easy way to reset it to 17m?

Of course the alternative is to mark the loader to indicate it is a 17m roll and then mark the 13m division on the dial to remind you that it is a 17m roll and 13m is zero and not zero but if there is an easy way to set the dial to 17m so it runs down to zero then can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Mike
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:20 PM
Friend

Hi Mike,

That's a very good question. My experience has only been with 30m rolls in my AP bulk loader. However, I do have the original instruction leaflet that came with it.

I'll grab tommorrow from my darkroom and scan/post online here at FADU. It may help. You know I've never read it !!

Larry.
http://www.creativevisionandsound.co.uk
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:44 PM
Friend

Thanks Larry. Instructions are very useful. Initially I couldn't turn the crank and thought I might have a duff machine but it was simply that you have to push it in quite forcibly to free the mechanism that in effect opens the light tight shutter and closes tightly on the film when the crank is extracted so you have a foolproof mechanism. In that sense it is more like a foolproof version of the Watson mechanism rather than the labyrithine light tight trap of my Telesar which doesn't grab the film at all but relies in light not being able to turn corners and works equally well.

I suppose that the Telesar labyrinth might allow a bit of the film to be fogged if you open the film cassette compartment and were to point it directly at sunlight but that fogged section wouldn''t be part of the useable part of the roll.

Overall however the Jessops/AP loader is a neat piece of kit.

Mike
Old 24th January 2011, 01:22 PM
Friend

Hello Mike

I've scanned the instructions page for you but can't upload it to FADU, it's too big and if I shrink it down the text is hard to read.

Instead, I've uploaded the scanned JPEG image to a free hosting site - See link below available for 30 days from today.

http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/11159751/file.html

If the page doesn't come up then check for the "zippyshare.com" minimized tab next to your Windows XP green start button. Click to enlarge Window and then "Download Now" - Easy to do, harder to explain.

Hope this helps

Larry
http://www.creativevisionandsound.co.uk

Last edited by Larry; 24th January 2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 24th January 2011, 01:29 PM
Friend

Be interested to know how you get on with it, i've been looking at the same model for a while now.
Old 24th January 2011, 01:53 PM
Friend

I have the LPL version of this loader but it has a few metres of apx 100 in at the moment so I can't check but isn't it the actual role diameter that sets the amount remaining/loaded using some sort of follower ?

Paul
Old 24th January 2011, 04:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMarkey View Post
I have the LPL version of this loader but it has a few metres of apx 100 in at the moment so I can't check but isn't it the actual role diameter that sets the amount remaining/loaded using some sort of follower ?

Paul
The default position for the Jessops/AP loader is 30m and it is this that is automatically switched back to when you exhaust a roll and fit another roll. You simply pull the catch.

However I can see no way that the loader can detect the length of film on the roll or the role diameter by which I think you mean the actual outer roll cover.

With the Telesar loader you can dial in the length at the start and if something went wrong with the loader and you had to decant the roll and fit it into another Telesar then you can dial in the meterage/footage left from the faulty loader.

Unlikely to happen I know but worth pointing out this small improvement that the Telesar has over the Jessops/AP.

Not an issue of course if you always fit 30m /100ft lengths

Mike
Old 24th January 2011, 05:12 PM
Friend

Many thanks Larry. It worked a treat. I now have a perfectly printed set of instructions.

It doesn't look as if there is any easy way to dial in 17m but you can't have everything :

It is one of the neatest loaders I have seen and looks virtually foolproof. A neat little touch is the dial for setting the ISO. Won't tell you the make of film of course but very handy if you have two loaders with say 100 and 400 film

Thanks again

Mike
Old 24th January 2011, 06:48 PM
Friend

I love my AP bulk film loader but yeah, short of cranking enough so it gets to 17m, or writing a note to yourself on the bulkloader saying, this isn't actually 30m, there's not much you can do. Just buy the bigger rolls
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies