Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th January 2009, 05:41 PM
Friend

Default Fixer recipes

I'm looking for a recipe for a concentrated fixer, similar to Ilford Hypam / rapid Fixer, that can be used for film as well as paper. I've made up a couple of recipes from Anchell's, but they are usually used at full strength and they don't seem to last very long.

I need something that will keep well as a concentrate (6 months+) and will be more economical than buying Hypam in 5l bottles.

anyone got and ideas, or am I just being tight?

Rob
Old 25th January 2009, 09:56 PM
Friend

Rob Best of luck at squaring this circle of good value with longevity with a home recipe but I've been very impressed with Ilford Rapid Fixer in the 5L containers both in terms of price and longevity and this is a Scotsman speaking! Jessops' internet order with branch pickup is good value if there is a Jessops branch near enough to you to avoid travel costs or reduce these to a small expense.

There are cheaper commercial fixers. I think Fotospeed does one. However whether you pay the price in terms of poorer longevity I don't know and there is P&P.

Mike
Old 26th January 2009, 06:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I'm looking for a recipe for a concentrated fixer, similar to Ilford Hypam / rapid Fixer, that can be used for film as well as paper. I've made up a couple of recipes from Anchell's, but they are usually used at full strength and they don't seem to last very long.

I need something that will keep well as a concentrate (6 months+) and will be more economical than buying Hypam in 5l bottles.

anyone got and ideas, or am I just being tight?

Rob
There are also Champion products, and at these sort of prices I wonder if itís worth mixing your own, unless itís something special. Of course if you just order one bottle the P & P cost will increase the unit price.
Old 26th January 2009, 03:03 PM
Friend

I don't think you will beat the prices of the ready prepared fixer's, I use either the fotospeed fixer, availaqble in 5ltr packs, very good value and lasts at least as long as the ilford, or Adofix, also available in 5 litre packs from Retro, and long lasting. Richard
Old 27th January 2009, 02:31 PM
Friend

Default fixer recipes

I have a fixer recipe that I used to mix many years ago.

Water at 40c 800ml
sodium sulphite anhydrous 10g

ammonium thiosulphate 150g

water to make 1000ml

best made 24 hours prior to use so that reactiion by products to settle. Decant before use.

Use undiluted.

Fixing times at 20c are 3 to 5 minutes for film and 2 or 3 minutes for papers

If you try itn good luck Richard
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:14 PM
Friend

Rob, if you scan through the Silverprint Web Site on ammonium thiosulphate Fixers - there is this - Item 73764 -Agfa FX UNIVERSAL FIXER - 5 litres @ £10.27 inc VAT

The trouble is - they won't ship in the post - you would have to go to London to collect it

NOVA do this - Item AKTMAXF5 - Kodak T-Max Film Fixer - 5L @ £14.67 inc VAT - and they ship (about £5) - but I don't know if its any good for Paper

Martin
Old 5th February 2009, 02:17 PM
Friend

Nova fixer ideal for papers, 5 litres, good value and the will post
Old 5th February 2009, 02:31 PM
Friend

RK Photographic now do Agfa FX Universal and they do ship it. They had some over Christmas so you may be lucky.
Old 6th February 2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Silverprint may ship it if you ask. They now ship 5 litres of some other chems for a £5 excess carriage charge.

I've been using FX Universal for the last year or so exclusively as it has a very low odour, is inexpensive and I am within travelling distance of Silverprint.

Oh, it's also near to neutral pH as makes no odds and seems to be very well buffered with no pH change (that I could see using Litmus paper) during use with an acid stop-bath.

Last edited by Bob; 6th February 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 6th February 2009, 07:54 PM
Friend

Basically, if you're looking for a bog standard acid fixer, you won't beat the prices of the large manufactureres simply because they have massive buying power. They buy chemicals in the tons; you might buy a few kilograms. You'll never beat them Just get the best deal you can on the net.
The only way you can win is to use something they don't produce. Never be cheaper than their bog standard stuff, though.
Just a question of what you want.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd