Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd January 2013, 01:04 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Hyfin

I used to use this way back about 40 years ago and would like to try it again. Ilford don't have or will not release the formula to the general publick

Hyfin was a powdered High accutance developer which only had processing times for Ilford Pan F and FP3 (at the time). It was a use once and throw away brew. I remember the times were 18 mins for both and I think it gave a 100% speed increase.

It was very similar in results to Rodinal but it would go 'off' quickly once mixed. I should like to try it again if anyone has any inkling of the formula
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:48 PM
Friend

Hi there,

Hyfin was Ilford's high definition developer. In my ancient formula notebook (created by copying down formula's given to me by much older photographers when I was a wee lad in a camera club). I have a formula given to me by the Vice President who did/had worked at Ilford:

Metol 0.5g
Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 5g
Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 5g
Water to 1 litre

Development times 15-25 minutes. Requires a minimum of 600ml of chemistry per 35mm or 120 film.

This formula is very similar to Crawley's FX1 developer with the omission of the Potassium iodide.

Hope that helps,

David
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:50 PM
Friend

a search reveals

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-64800.html

but there is discusion that it was a glycin developer and that FX-2 is not disimilar and has a 1/2 to 1 stop speed increase

http://www.jackspcs.com/fx2.htm
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:20 AM
Friend

Unfortunately many of the formulae which supposedly came from ex-Ilford employees were wrong, yes they'd been published but weren't the developers actually in production.

I've 3 boxes (5 sachets each) of Hyfin and what appears to be Glycin has decomposed, plain metol looks different when it's oxidised. Mason was clear that some developers used the same quanity of Glucin alongside the Metol but he'd have stopped short of publishing the exact formula which was a commercial secret.

The other that floats around is a supposed formula for Microphen which is actually for Autophen which was Ilfords's PQ version of ID-11, also known as the Axford-Kendal fine grain developer, this was sold alongside Microphen but not optimised for extra speed etc. Ilford published the Autophen formula in a series of BJP articles.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies