Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th April 2014, 10:18 PM
Friend

Default Devere 5x4 varicon

Hi folks,I picked up the above enlarger today and although not in pristine condition, mainly I think from lack of use, overall it seems ok. I was advised by the seller to lightly oil the cables before use and this has worked on the bellows side,,but the lens side,as the manual calls it, or the right hand side for moving the head up and down, doesn't move, the dial moves but doesn't move the head. The cables are there and intact. I'm wondering is there a baring ceased or something. I've removed all three plates from the back and the one on top, and I'm guessing that one or both of the pulleys at the top of the cable housing have a baring, but cant tell if they do. Any advise? It's just the standard varicon head btw.
Cheers, Tommy.
Old 28th April 2014, 08:37 AM
Friend

Have you released the safety locks ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th April 2014, 10:52 AM
Friend

Yes Neil, I have.
Old 28th April 2014, 01:17 PM
Friend

Tommy,

The pulleys should of course move and if they do not try something like WD40 to get them going. It may be worth taking off the base board as well and track the mechanics throughout from the front adjustment wheel.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th April 2014, 02:57 PM
Friend

hi Tommy first of all don't oil or grease anything yet ,if the wires of the pulley are oily they will slip, you have a big stainless steal coiled spring that helps take the weight of the head if you look behind the head at the column you will see the chrome of the coil this may be stuck or broken in some way ....have a look and let me know

essexcockney.com
Old 28th April 2014, 05:11 PM
Friend

Thanks big Paul and Neil, I'll check it out when I get home, won't be until late tonight.
Old 28th April 2014, 05:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySeagrave View Post
Thanks big Paul and Neil, I'll check it out when I get home, won't be until late tonight.
Best of luck, Tommy, and do let us know how you get on.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th April 2014, 09:26 PM
Friend

Hi folks,here's a few pics of the workings https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXJ7wDJ
The first one,of the large spring,I think is the culprit. The shaft it runs on looks rusty, although I don't know if that's the reason it's not doing it's job. I'm afraid I sprayed all the cables and pulleys with wd yestserday big paul,I'll give a good rub down though
Old 30th April 2014, 03:21 PM
Friend

Default re Devere 5x4

Good afternoon,
may i ask which model you are referring to? I have an old Devere 54 enlarger (condenser version) that I am trying to rejuvinate/bring back to life. It has many bearings, most of which needed removing and soaking in wd40 to get movement back (many were rusted up). If yours is a similiar model than I would do the same to your bearings to help with the movement. Mine still isnt perfect yet but we're getting there!
good luck and would love to see a photo of the enlarger!
Old 1st May 2014, 07:45 AM
Friend

Hi smudged,it's a condenser model, a varicon.
https://flic.kr/p/naDmkb
Obviously you must have removed the cables to remove the pulleys,replacing them looks like a complicated process. Did you remove the springs too? This enlarger is nothing like any of my other types I have, I'm weary of removing anything until I get my head around how it works,the web is full of peoples questions on how to fix them but very little actual demonstrations. The bellows side ceased last night on mine,I thought by giving it gentle exercise every now and then would smooth it,I extended it down and it won't go back up. BTW, is there a trick to replacing the condenser,both on mine seem to be locked in by an upturned catch on each side at the front. I would have thought simply lifting up the condenser and pulling it out would work, but it doesn't.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies