Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2008, 06:29 PM
Friend

Default Padley Gorge

Padley Gorge is an attractive area of the Derbyshire Peak District close to Sheffield.

Apart from the attractions of the Burbage Brook which flows through it, the area is an attractive woodland offering many photographic opportunities at all times of the year. At its lower end, closest to Grindleford Station, the woods are mainly beech, but as you climb the gorge they turn first to oak, and later to birch.

The National Trust site HERE will tell you more.
Directions by road: From Grindleford take the B6521 though Nether Padley. As the road climbs out of the village there is a road off to the left which goes down to Grindleford Station which is on the Sheffield / Hathersage line. Drive to the bottom where you can turn a car and find somewhere to park. There is a useful cafe on the right-hand side near the station. On foot, cross the railway bridge, and you will find a gap in the stone wall on the right-hand side that takes you into the wood which fills this lower section of Padley Gorge, Burbage Brook is now on your left and the paths lead uphill away from station road.

Old 5th October 2008, 08:44 PM
Friend

I second this - a fantstic spot. If you turn left instead of walking up the gorge, and follow the path through the disused quarries (beautiful groves of silver-birches against the dark rocks) there is an area at the top near the road (A625) littered with discarded millstones - well worth the walk.

The cafe at grindleford station does a decent lunch, too.

Rob
Old 6th October 2008, 05:41 PM
Friend

I agree Rob, the old millstone quarry is also well worth a visit. Millstones in the woods as HERE and usually climbers in the quarry as bonus subject.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:45 PM
Friend

I was just having a break from work and checking out past postings, when I noticed this from you Dave:
The name Grindleford caught my attention: my wife’s family used to own the mill there, so I have spent many happy hours walking the woods and hill around the area. It is as you say a place well worth the effort of going.
Have you ever seen it at this time of year, although it does get cut off when the snow is heavy as now, but very picturesque.
David.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daud View Post
I was just having a break from work and checking out past postings, when I noticed this from you Dave:
The name Grindleford caught my attention: my wife’s family used to own the mill there, so I have spent many happy hours walking the woods and hill around the area. It is as you say a place well worth the effort of going.
Have you ever seen it at this time of year, although it does get cut off when the snow is heavy as now, but very picturesque.
David.
I've only visited in the Spring and Autumn, but I can imagine that it is, as you say worth a visit now, or indeed at any time. I can also tell you that it's quite nice in the rain too.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies